We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas visit

Stockport, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas visit

My husband and I are arriving at Orlando airport from the UK on Christmas Day at about 3.00 p.m. We are due in Key West the following day. Can anyone suggest a hotel about 2 hours drive from Orlando airport (that's all the driving I fancy doing after a 9 hour flight) just for a one night stopover? We don't fancy anything too basic if poss. Thanks.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas visit

Take the Turnpike to West Palm Beach [easy road after a longish flight] Try the Hampden Inn, A good chain of Hotels, Approx $100 Dollars per night for the room, Breakfast will probably be included.

Stockport, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas visit

Great thanks for that - I'll have a look.

KC

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas visit

Stay near the airport. There is a hotel IN the airport too. Once you drive south of Kissimmee, there is 100 miles with only two exits on the Turnpike. Unless you plan on staying between Orlando and Kissimmee, you won't find a place within two hours. I don't believe there is a huge hotel selection in Yeehaw Junction.

West Palm is at least 2.5 hours.

Edited: 8:36 am, August 06, 2013
Orlando
Level Contributor
9,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas visit

I was thinking of the Turnpike before. I had another thought too. If you drive 528 to I-95, you could stop somewhere in the Melbourne or Vero Beach area. Vero Beach would be pretty close to 1.5-2 hours.

From there, I would drive I-95 and switch to the Turnpike at Ft Pierce.

Make sure you are familiar with the Sunpass options on the rental car for the very south end of the Turnpike.

www.sunpass.com

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas visit

I know it is a long, long drive to Key West (about 8 hrs from Orlando) but I would not even attempt to drive for two hours after a transatlantic flight. You will need to be alert and it will also be getting dark by the time you have cleared immigration and got your hire car. We holiday on the Gulf Coast every year but would not do the drive after our flight. Have you thought about staying at an airport hotel the first night (we always stay at the very good Hyatt Regency in MCO), getting your hire car early the next morning and driving down to Key West after (hopefully) a good sleep? We holiday in Key West as often as we can and fly into Miami. It takes us about four hours from there to drive down...with a stop for lunch.

Edited: 2:35 pm, August 06, 2013
6. Re: Christmas visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 08, 2014