We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

Leicester
Level Contributor
250 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

Hi,

Still trying to work out which resort to book for next WDW trip - have ruled out YC/BC due to price so was looking at the moderate resorts......

however a standard room at AKL (with free DDP) is coming up as a similar price to POFQ (waterview room with upgrade from free QSDP to DDP)....

obviously it seems to make sense to go for AKL but have then read reviews saying that if you don't get a savannah view room its not worth it as you might be looking over the car park.

Any advice on whether we should look at AKL or POFQ??

We are a couple in our early 30s - going for 14 days - want some downtime at the resort but also like to enjoy the bars/lounges in the evening

thanks

beth

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

Go with the AKL, it's a nice step up from the moderates. You'll have a balcony and at least you'll have some sort of view. At POFQ you don't get any view at all as there will be a walkway right outside your window. You actually have to step out of the room onto the walkway to see the view. Plus you will probably have people walking up and down peering in your room!!

IMO this is a no brainer, AKL is a deluxe, POFQ is a moderate. You may be lucky and get an upgrade.

Edited: 9:26 am, July 29, 2013
Fishkill, New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

If it's in your budget I'd say yes to AKL, it's a beautiful hotel to walk around in and at night you can't really see the animals so when your sleeping so who cares? But the bars/restaurants there are some of the best. When you check in you can always ask if they have anything available with a view. I found it to be very relaxing and we had a savannah view room and everyday we saw the same 3 ox. We ended up naming them because they were our regulars. Even with the animal view room we ended up walking around to see what else was out there.

14 days is a long trip, if you stay at POFQ (another lovely hotel) I'd still recommend coming over to AKL for a meal at Boma and taking a walk around.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

AKL all day long...

POFQ is a lovely resort, but you can't really compare as they are different levels of resort...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

I have stayed at both and I prefer AKL because of the lodge arrangement. It is really lovely walking in the lobby; it feels like you are coming home. The only negative we found was that it seemed to take a while to get to certain parks and I did feel out of things a bit. The food options in AKL are very nice particularly breakfast options and so if they are similar price I would go for AKL

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,035 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

There's plenty of places to see the animals from even if you don't have a Savannah view. We have stayed at the AKL multiple times and would not pay for the view. If they upgrade us,that's nice but its not worth the extra money . The staff is wonderful,the lobby is gorgeous,the lobby store has some realy interesting items,the pool is outstanding and the dining options are excellent. its the only resort at Disney that offers a really unique experience; I wouldn't say we felt like we were in Africa but its a nice experience

Leicester
Level Contributor
250 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

Thanks everyone - its been a dream to stay at AKL for years but was so worried we'd pay all that money to be staring at cars or a brick wall whilst on the balcony. But like you've said at least there is a balcony!!! The whole place looks wonderful - we went to Boma last visit and was favourite meal of holiday.

Thanks again x

7. Re: Standard Room at AKL - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 31, 2014