We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough spending money

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Enough spending money

Going to Orlando 26th August (5 weeks to go yey!!) it's our first time so unsure what prices are like over there. It's just me and my boyfriend ages 22 and 25 for two weeks. We have the Disney dining plan. We are taking around $2800-$3000 between us. Which will be for alcoholic drinks (like a cocktail or two and he likes a beer), shopping (clothes, jewellery and makeup) and food when we don't eat on Disney (around 4 nights I think) does this seem like enough?

Thanks

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough spending money

$100 pppd Should cover it. Prices are cheaper than the UK [No surprise there then!] Look out for those 'Buy one drink get one free' drinks. Clothes shopping is a lot cheaper.

Have a Ball!!!

belfast
Level Contributor
37 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough spending money

I have just returned and found food and eating out to be a lot more expensive than my last trip although I know this is to be expected. I had $2000 for myself and my kids age 14 and 10. My mum had $1500 for herself. We brought home around $200 per adult. Its the tipping which takes a big chunk of the dollars. Toiletries in Walgreens were very highly priced. Some of the smaller supermarkets charge almost double for essentials compared to larger stores. If there are only 2 of you what you are taking should be fine. A credit card for backup would be a good idea as well. Clothes such as Hollister are massively reduced, I bought loads! Dont miss Charming Charlies for jewellery, bags and much more. Such a cheap store.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,570 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough spending money

If the flipping exchange rate improved a tad things wouldn't seem as expensive

However you should be fine with your spends

My motto is take it easy at and then have a blow out lol

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,838 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough spending money

That's more than enough for 4 nights if you budget your money well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough spending money

We wouldn't be buying any toiletries we're bringing that with us as I get discount at work. Spending money would initially be for one quick & easy to grab meal a day (either breakfast or lunch as the sit down evening meal is on Dining plan with one quick service) a couple of alcoholic drinks a night, any souvenirs we but at the parks. But mostly it is for a shopping day towards the end of the two weeks. We want to shop a lot! I particularly want a Michael Kors watch which are around $250, some underwear from Victoria's Secret, converse, Tiffany bracelet! So basically take it east at first, the odd meal and alcoholic drinks then should have quite a bit left over for shopping.

sunderland, uk
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough spending money

Have a look on Tiffany website to get an idea of which bracalet you like and the cost. Converse are normally dirt cheap at the outlets. Sound's like you have more than enough for what you want to buy, enjoy .

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough spending money

Hi LoBrad

It's almost impossible to answer to be honest.

It really does depend on the type of lifestyle that you are used to!

Also, spending money can mean many different things to different people. For some, it might mean to spend on gifts and treats, to others it could include meal costs.

A good guide for dining costs can be found here

totalorlando.com/parksarticle-31-122-How_muc…

Another good resource is this Forum (probably one of the best out there to be honest)

thedibb.co.uk/forums/Spending-Money-p-79.html

Our personal advice as a family, would be to decide whatever you can afford, then rigidly stick to it.

Some friends that travelled with us got so tired of running out of cash part way through their yearly visits, that they placed each day of cash in an envelope marked with a date!

It seemed to work really well and they stashed any savings left over into another envelope marked 'End of holiday treats'

Might seem a bit crazy but their wealth of experience taught them well!

Good luck and hope you have an amazing time!

8. Re: Enough spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 23, 2014