We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 weeks to go :)

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
11 weeks to go :)

I'm getting really excited but nervous now. We fly 11 weeks today from Manchester on the Thomson Dreamliner. It will be our first trip to Orlando (infact to the states). Travelling with my hubby and 8 year old Autistic son, staying at the Doubletree Seaworld. I'm really nervous about the flight, hate flying I do it every year but usually just short 2/3 hour flights. Anyway just wondering if anyone had any tips for us first timers ? We are planning on visiting Universal (both parks), Disney (Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom) also Seaworld.

Thankyou .

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

How exciting, on our first trip i was dreading the flight, it just sounds like such a long time. It never feels that long, between the meals and entertainment it passes by quicker than you imagine.

My advice to you would be to do a little planning, not too much so that you're on a tight schedule, take it all in and enjoy!

Buy a water spray bottle, my boys love them! keeps them cool during the long hot days at the parks.

Our first trip was a once in a lifetime one that ended up being the first of many. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Thankyou Tina, it does sound such a long time, but I'm armed with a book I've been waiting ages to read so hopefully that will pass a couple of hours.

I have planned along the lines of how many days per park and how many days relaxing/shopping, but not allocated specific days to them so that we're not stressing too much.

Good idea with the water spray, my little man will love that too.

I have said to both my hubby and son make the most of it because we will never go again.......but we will see :). I'm sure we will have a great time.

Thankyou :)

london
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

i am off on 14th Sept, first time to orlando and staying at doubletree seaworld, 10 weeks to go :) we are visting all the parks, got 14 day ultimate tickets so we can come and go, have a rough plan but i dont think you will really know until you are there.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Might see you there London Girl :). I agree we only have a rough plan, alot will depend on the weather too.

Have a great time :)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

I think you are all set cleff. ESTAs done? travel insurance sorted? I have travelled with a child with autism. We made sure that we kept him informed of where we were going and what was going to happen at all times...nice and calm and no surprises.

Nice time of the year to go. Break up the days and don't try and do too much too soon.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Yes MrMacoos have sorted both of those. I have been doing that too, we made a count down chart together and have shown him some clips on Youtube to give him an idea of what's to be expected. How was the plane journey for your Autistic child ? I keep warning my son that we are going to be on there a long time, I'm hoping the in flight entertainment will keep him occupied.Will be armed with a DS and some activity books too.

I chose late September as I'm hoping the crowds wont be as big as it's out of the school holidays. We are definitely going to have some lazy pool days probably at the weekends because the parks will more than likely be busier then.

Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Hi Cleff, 7 weeks for us and our son 15 who has asperges let thomson know + they let you board early or later, whatevers best for your boy, also i tell everyone with our children go to guest relations at 1st park, they give you a card wich makes queing easier for your party. Let him make some choices, and like you say let him know whats happening eg where you going when your eating you know what i mean. Will let you know how we get on.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Thanks Linda that would be great. Do I need to take any proof of his condition ? I have been in touch with Thomson today they have been really good they reserved us seats near the front of the cabin and have put us down for priority boarding.

Hope you have a fab time .

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Hi cleff.... We used to take proof of our sons medical condition with us (he's now grown up). As suggested, pop to guess services for fast past tickets. They do help.. If he's on any medication, make sure it's packed in your hand luggage along with his prescription.

Otherwise, have a fab holiday, Florida's a fair bit different to Rotherham !! Lol

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 weeks to go :)

Flight went well cleff though it was only 4 hours as opposed to 9. We let the flight attendants know of his condition and took plenty of stuff for him to do on board. Good luck. Hope it goes well.