We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando .....disappointed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Orlando .....disappointed

Hi everyone ....I have a feeling I am going to get lots of negative comments but each to their own anyway. Just have to say back from 3 weeks in Orlando and was quite disappointed to be honest. I ust dont see how you can call standing for hours in queues in sweltering heat a holiday. Dont get me wrong the parks are fab and everything but really so glad I took the 3 weeks. As it was we didnt get to do a lot of what we planned to do as it was just impossible to spend more than a few hours at a time walking and standing in the heat. I also found all the taxes on top of everything you I paid for got to be a pain. So glad we hired car hire though as the driving was so easy and I would highly reccommend this to anyone visiting.(Pity this was on the third week) My 2 teenagers aged 14 and 16 said they wouldn,t really care to go back either at which I was quite shocked to hear cos they us didnt think overall it was worth it to stand and queue for rides for hours all day. Overall it was great holiday and experience but didn.t, quite leave us with the wow factor we were expecting. Having said that we learnt so many things from our first experience and if going again have picked up a few helpful tips re saving money and time . !!!!!

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

Did you try all parks or just Disney ?

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

I know you are probably restricted to school holidays but if you could go at quieter time and when the weather is cooler I think you might enjoy the parks more.

Also, if you ever did decide to return perhaps a nice relaxing week at the beach might be something to consider rather than a 3 week "park holiday " :-)

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,470 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

In order to avoid the heat and long queues, you need to plan very carefully WHEN to come. Summer = heat. That should be no surprise. As for the long queues, I'll just say that certain times of the year are more popular that others. Some times are much more popular than others. Again, careful timing is the key. With two teenagers in school, you may not have the flexibility to come at many other times of the year.

Did you happen to get outside the Disney "bubble" and see some of the real Florida?

New Mills, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

Orlando in my opinion isn't a relaxing beach holiday. We go for the theme parks etc really. But also know we can relax by the pool . Last year when we went it was really hot so I understand what you mean about standing in the heat for queues but we always made sure we got plenty of shade and drank loads of water. When we queued up we never queued for more than 60 mins cause we got the fast passes for the most popular rides and then went on the least popular rides ( living in the land in Epcot never had a long queue)

Personally I think orlando is a different type of holiday but its a holiday I enjoy over just a beach holiday. I find it amazing but I suppose it isn't for everyone lol

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

I think many of us, willl probably agree with you in some respects, I certainly would not of enjoyed queuing or the heat, however I have always been fortunate enough to plan to go in the quieter, less humid months, when walking around the parks is a pleasure not a chore, and 10minutes ride waits seems too long :)

Maybe you could give it another go, get a car and visit some of the beautiful towns and beaches in Florida too,

ireland
Level Contributor
291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

We're heading home tomorrow, and the way we have done this trip was to head straight to Sand Key, south of Clearwater where we spent the first 5 days (we did a 16 day rental) , we then headed up to Orlando and spent 3 great days in Universal and then headed back to Sand Key and we are now back in Orlando for the last two days...for us this is the best way...this might be an option for you should you decide to return, we really had the best of both worlds.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

I think its fine to say you didnt enjoy it, Orlando isnt for everyone.

Having said that, weve done May, October (about to do Aug) and June was by far the worst for rain and crowds.

New Mills, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

Orlando in my opinion isn't a relaxing beach holiday. We go for the theme parks etc really. But also know we can relax by the pool . Last year when we went it was really hot so I understand what you mean about standing in the heat for queues but we always made sure we got plenty of shade and drank loads of water. When we queued up we never queued for more than 60 mins cause we got the fast passes for the most popular rides and then went on the least popular rides ( living in the land in Epcot never had a long queue)

Personally I think Orlando is a different type of holiday but its a holiday I enjoy over a beach holiday. I find it an amazing place but I suppose it isn't for everyone lol

pa
Level Contributor
54,491 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

Which Parks did you visit ?

If you can go another time of the year ( October/November perhaps ) you will have a very different holiday. Give it some thought, don't rule out another holiday to Orlando, it really can be lots of fun if you visit another time

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando .....disappointed

Sadly a lot of people come over here just to visit the parks [Mainly Disney] I totally agree with you Queueing for hours on rides in 90 Degrees of Heat is not my idea of a Holiday. If i go to the parks i normally go in the months when its not as busy. There are so many great places to visit. If you come over again, Try driving down to the 'Keys', Pretty spectacular!! Naples, Clearwater, Sarasota, and Daytona Beaches, The Everglades are beautiful, The State Parks are also worth a visit. Plus it does not cost the Earth like the Parks!!!