We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin miles plus money

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin miles plus money

Hi, we're hoping to buy premium cabin seats for next year. Has anyone brought premium seats and used air miles to reduce the cost? If so how much discount did you get and how many air miles did you have?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,261 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin miles plus money

Moomin, go onto the VA website and it will tell you how many miles you need. I think you need 7,500 miles per person to get a PE seat with miles plus money but a heck of a lot more if you just want to book PE seats using all air miles. Do a dummy booking and you will get an idea of how much you can save.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin miles plus money

Hi I used Miles and money to just book our economy seats this year, I had 8000 miles and it knocked £50 off pp, which was better than expected and every little helps. As said do a dummy run to see what you get, you'll have to sign in though as it shecks your available balance.

Bideford
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin miles plus money

I use air miles for every booking. The miles plus money is not very good. I've only used it once when desperate to get to Vegas to see Ricky Hatton fight Mayweather. I think air miles are brilliant used the right way. Unfortunately to get the best out of them you could do with an Amex Virgin card to help build your miles up. I get two free upgrades from economy to PE every year by putting 10k in spending on them. Not that difficult with shopping, fuel etc. I put a huge amount through my business so always get good miles.

I'd save them up until I could get a good flight. Never pay 50,000 air miles for an economy flight thoughts with taxes etc the saving is rubbish.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin miles plus money

Thanks, buckycumbria, was that 8000 pp to get £50 off? I can't do a dummy run as I havnt got an air miles account yet, and the guy from virgin said don't set one up until I need it or it will deactivate if left for too long.

I've been told we need 25000 miles to get an upgrade return ticket. I don't think we're going to be able to do that for both of us even though we're using topcash back to get extra tesco points etc towards the air miles.

Edited: 3:11 am, July 01, 2013
Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin miles plus money

Similar to Bucky, I used them for economy and saved about £50 each.

I actually worked it out that using them this way is much better value than paying for flights with miles because the amount of tax you still have to pay makes the miles only fares pretty poor value.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin miles plus money

The best use of miles reward are in Premium Economy or Upper Class cabin. It is a bit of a waste in Economy.

Also miles + money is considered not to be a very good value in return. Yes you do get some money off but you are still paying a large chunk of money but yet you will get zero miles in return.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin miles plus money

I have just used miles + money for next March

Got £50 per person off rate using 4000 miles for 2 flights

It's not much off but every little helps

By the way the flights were £475 each

I have never used them for flights alone as there are never flights available when I want to go

Think VA have about 2 seats a year using reward points only lol

I know I won't receive any miles but my OH will get his so we just use them year about

Edited: 8:37 am, July 01, 2013
Stockton On Tees
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin miles plus money

I was going to book a miles plus money flight for March next year but it worked out cheaper for me to go on Virgin Holidays and use the 7% discount that flying club members get! Going for 12 nights next March!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin miles plus money

Thanks, I'm really not sure if il bother now, as we're looking to get all our miles with tesco club card points. And I don't want to convert them over to virgin then find out we can't get the seats we want anyway. Also the new Thomson dream liner looks very nice :)

10. Re: Virgin miles plus money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 03, 2014