We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
700 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

Considering buying a pay as you go phone plan from "Ready Sim", which uses the T-Mobile network. Some of the reviews say the data speeds suck (that's with users all over the US) but Orlando reviews for T-Mobile look ok. Anyone use T-Mobile or ready sim? Roaming from my Canadian carrier is crazy, and this ready sim service looked reasonable. ($35 for the sim card, +talk/text/data for the 14 days of our trip.)

Not interested in international calling or anything, just want to be able to use my apps and call/text my dh while we're there, maybe make a few local calls (like putting in a pizza order while we're en route :D).

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

Cant help with your question but I can tell you what I'm going to do. As soon as we're at the resort I'm going to Tmobile shop to get a sim card, activate it and apply the pay per day $3 option.

Great for email, Facebook, web surfing, GPS navigation, downloading apps/music/games, and more.

Unlimited Talk

Unlimited Text

Unlimited Web - First 200MB at up to 4G speeds

prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
700 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

That's pretty good, but ready sim still looks better to me. Talk text web + sim card for two weeks, $35. T mobile $3/day works out to $52 (when you add the $10 sim card). Same network...

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

WHY if you're on holiday, would you want to go on facebook and such? No offence by the way, just i know i personally go on holiday, the last thing I plan to do is update facebook or twitter lol.

GPS does not need internet, but the maps do, so pre load the maps on to your phone before you go and you're fine. Granted you wont have any updates regarding accidents or road closures but GPS would still work.

You will have wifi at your hotel resort, and I think all theme parks now have wifi, you have lots of restaurants who have wifi too so before spending money on a sim, check around as wifi might be available to you which would be free!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

This is interesting for me as we will defs be updating facebook and sending picture texts back home. See mclaren we are from the other side of the world and our families will worry...not to mention that when we go we will be away for 5 weeks. It is merely to keep in touch with everyone and share pics of our holiday. Oh and brag about all our adventures ;)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

Why not just use wifi at the hotel or resort, or in a park to send a quick email or such?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

To be honest I hadn't thought of the parks having free wifi....completely forgot about that :-)

Mind you my non tech parents have no internet so hence having to send them text msgs. If I use the free wifi at the parks with my iphone would the data roaming be charged to my Aussie provider or would that be covered by the park's wifi?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

What I do is put my phone on aeroplane mode or just remove the simcard so that I am not running up 3G data. If you install skype in to your phone you can use this to phone home at the cost of about 1c per minute. So those who need to contact you, can facebook or email you, and you can skype call home too.

Remember, if you want GPS, you need to just remove your simcard and keep in the hotel safe (done this last year, and it was fantastic)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

Thanks for your advice mclaren :) I am a newbie to all this!!

Cheers!

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
700 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

As far as I know the Universal parks don't have wifi. We aren't going to Disney. We are going in August, and I am hoping using some of the apps in-park will help us save steps in the heat. Also I am the kind of person who loves data--the more info the better. I've also downloaded the TA Orlando guide, mostly to help with restaurant choices on the go.

I will report back when we return!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone use T-mobile for data in Orlando?

T Mobile also has a $2 a day plan, unl talk text data at 2g speeds. For $3 a day you get first 200mb at 4g speeds.

Depending on where you are staying service coverage will differ.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

The advantage of this one is that if you find wifi and decide not to use it, you only pay when you use the service. ie they charge you for the day when you use minutes, send text, or mobile data on any given day.

2g will work for email and google maps so if renting a car you can find your way home.

Looks like t mobile has gotten better for 4g service in the last year, If you are budget concious the 2$ pay per day might be better.

T Mobile sims are cheap on amazon right now... activation kits around $5. T mobile was giving them away for free, but wont sell them to you unless you have a us address and credit card.

Buy an activation kit for $5, activate online, and put some money into your prepaid balance, and choose your plan. That way when you arrive in the USA you have service right away.