We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Hello,

My family is taking a Disney vacation this Thanksgiving. My children will be 3 and 6 years old. We will be spending 2 days at the Magic Kingdom, 1 at Animal Kingdom, and 1 and Hollywood Studios. Our priorities are spending time at the parks. My kids do nap, so we will be using the transportation to and from the parks a few times a day. We are not as concerned with pools/amenities, more so with easy transportation and getting around the hotel easily (last time I went we ate most of our meals at the hotel before/after naps). Which would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jen

pa
Level Contributor
54,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Coronado Springs is more centrally located and it doesn't share Transportation with any other Resort. The Dining options are very good IMHO, counter service, table service, grab and go plus 2 outdoor Bars with food and snack options. We have stayed there many times and love that it has the most "Deluxe" feel of the Moderate Resorts

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

Not sure which Port orleans Resort you were deciding on but the two do share bus service and are a bit further away from the Magic Kingdom. Riverside does have a very good food court and a nice and relaxed feel to it. If Coronado Springs wasn't available, it would be my choice over French Quarter

It will be a busy time, be sure to have a basic plan at least and make some Dining Reservations if you hope to have Meals at any of the nicer and more popular Table Service Resturants

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Thanks Partypa! I had been leaning towards Coronado Springs, so your comments were very helpful.

pa
Level Contributor
54,191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

You are very welcome. It really is a very nice Resort :)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Check out my CSR website and forum below. Tons of up-to-date CSR information including a convention listing, monthly activity schedule and rehab schedules.

Have a great trip!

CSR Website

http://myapi.io/?c416789

CSR Forum

http://myapi.io/?e88b4cf

Edited: 8:49 am, June 20, 2013
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

I'd vote for Port Orleans personally. Coronado Springs is very large and you could end up very far away from the food court. It has been a while since I stayed there, but I absolutely hated the food court - Pepper Market - and the process of not paying until after you have eaten. All the meals there took forever, I certainly wouldn't call it "quick service" dining. I did like Christmas morning breakfast at the Maya Grill though.

French Quarter is much closer quarters if you don't want to risk having to walk far to the food court/bus area, but Port Orleans Riverside has great gounds and an excellent food court. Never had an issue with the buses at either of these resorts and never ended up very far from a bus depot or the food courts. I think the theming of Riverside is much more kid friendly as well.

pa
Level Contributor
54,191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Actually CSR is smaller than POR

CSR has 1,921 rooms

POR has 2,048 rooms

The Grounds are about equal in size. The walking path around both is about a mile

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,389 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

Here's a property map to show you where Disney locations are in proximity to each other:

http://allears.net/tp/wdwpropertymap.pdf

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

POFQ would be my choice. It is the smallest resort and easy to get around. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms have been recently redone and have a great theme. Nice staff. Boat to DTD. Far easier bus transportation than POR or CSR due to its size. Fantastic pool(and you can use those of POR as well as they are sister resorts)CSR is somewhat convention oriented which detracts from the ambience plus there was a lot of language used which we aren't comfortable with our children hearing(and we live in NYC so you can only imagine). No worries about which building you will be in because they are all close to the main lobby.The #1 choice of moderates for our kids and much easier when you are carrying tired children at the end of the day

Hartford...
Level Contributor
494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

I was going to say the same thing partypa. I've stayed at both and had a room in AB and it was a long walk to the main building. It could happen at either resort.

CSR also offers club level rooms which guarantees you a room in cabana 9b which is the prime location at the resort. Close to everything.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans with smaller children?

If you are willing to pay extra for a close in casita CSR might work out for you. If not, don't be surprised if you have to carry your kids back to the room at the end of the day. The place is spread out with a big lake in the middle. I agree that the food at the Pepper Market is pretty awful and the food choices are very limited. The food court at POR is very good and their water taxi to Downtown Disney is great.