We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy thanksgiving weekend

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
How busy thanksgiving weekend

Hoping to book a week to see Christmas decorations and looking at flying out on Friday 28th November 2014. Obviously that it thanksgiving weekend so I was wondering how busy it would be. Touring plans for this years gives the Friday (which doesn't really matter by the time we get there, will really just be bed) a 10 and the Saturday a 10 and then Sunday drops to a 5 and then really low the following week.

Does anyone have any experience of this weekend and how busy it is. We could go two weeks earlier but DH B'day on 30th so might be nice to have that out there but not a special one so if it will be really busy we can go earlier. If its just the Saturday that will affect us I can live with that as would probably just do a few hours at AK and then maybe head to Epcot at tea time for dinner. If people have experience of full weekend and into following week being busy think we would go earlier.

pa
Level Contributor
54,085 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

We have been during Thanksgiving, it isn't awful by any means and the crowd levels Do Drop off a lot by Sunday. Pretty good time to go IMHO :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

Most of the Thanksgiving people go home on the Sunday, the week following Thanksgiving is relatively quiet.

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

Going on this years crowd levels it seems that way so could put up with just the Saturday being busy.

Thank you both.

Edited: 9:54 am, May 28, 2013
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

We spend every Thanksgiving at Disney. It is very busy from WEdnesday-Monday. People used to leave for home on Sunday but flights have gotten so pricey that day,many leave on Monday. You can expect very large crowds throughout the holiday-not as much as Christmas or summer but very substantial. It is a great time to go though;we always use a park hopper so if one park is too mobbed,we just go somewhere else. And the decorations-don't miss the Osborne Lights-are just fantastic. And have afternooon tea at the GF.A day touring the resorts for decorations is nice too.But yes,there lots of crowds-use Fast Pass whenever you can

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

I was wondering why thanksgiving was Thursday 27th as I thought it was 3rd Thursday in November for some reason and last year it was the 22nd.

Thanks disfan, going o have a talk with DH not that he likes discussing holidays 18months out!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday in November

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

we have been the week after thanksgiving and the parks seem to be quiet. just booked today..fly out 2 days before thanksgiving next year. sounds like it's the shops we need to avoid!..have fun whenever you go :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

Asked DH and he said to go the quietest time which was 14th, then I realised that if I go over my due date and the baby is late this November we would be away for his/hers 1st birthday which wouldn't be great for grandparents etc so can only go on 28th. DH now saying this is why he never gives an opinion as I always do opposite!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

Miss a first birthday party?Never!Go the 28th,you'll be fine and the week after,the parks will be megaquiet.Just don't go to any malls on the 28th-Black Friday can be a horror show(and the deals aren't as good as people think in many cases)

10. Re: How busy thanksgiving weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 31, 2014