We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Flydrive

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Flydrive

Hi all

I am booking a family holiday in orlando 2014. 4 adults 3 children 13yr 4yr 3yr old. I nearly always book separately to save money and in the past have made some great saving.

Because of the small kids booking a villa which is underway now and have found some really nice ones.

My question is I have gone through many posts over Virgin flydrive being expensive and is nearly always best to book separate. BUT, I want to hire a 15 seater just for the extra space and as hard as I try I cant seem to find anything cheaper than Virgin flydrive. Is this because of the vehicle I am wanting to use? The level of insurance cover I want and the fact I cannot be bothered lugging 2 car seats about. I always go a bit overboard on insurance when kiddies are in the car so I have priced virgin Platinum level and same like for like on other companies.

I want the extra space for the many day trips we will be taking away from the very close parks so may be in the vehicle for 2 -3 hours at a time.

Any help or advise on this matter or any tips for my trip (places to visit or to stay away from would be great.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Flydrive

t2kri

Although I also keep seeing how expensive Virgin are it seems to vary. We have travelled 3 time with virgin flydrive, once with thomas cook and once as a package as each time it has varied who and what was cheapest. This year I have booked three weeks from 21st July fly drive from Manchester with an intermediate SUV and virgin was by far the cheapest.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Flydrive

You don't need a 15 seater van a 12 seater has plenty of room.

Last year we hired a 12 seater for 8 adults and we could all spread out, any larger and its like driving a single decker bus plus more fuel to put in.

We booked through usrentacar.co.uk who used Budget and we paid £600 for 14 days.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Flydrive

We have a villa and so tend to shop around to get flights and car hire separately, but we have booked virgin flydrives a couple of times, as they have been the cheapest, and so it does happen.

Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Flydrive

We booked a virgin flydrive for july 2014 and it was far cheaper than thomson:)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Flydrive

Have you also checked doing VA flights and then the car hire separate with Virgin.

The prices for an SUV with Virgin are always competitive, not checked for the size of vehicle you are looking for but worth a try.

If you book it separate, only get the fully inclusive insurance, getting the gold only adds another driver and a tank of fuel which works out expensive for the fuel, if you don't need another driver.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Flydrive

Thanks for your opinions on this.

It seems to me that if you use flydrive through Virgin the price is almost the same if you choose the smallest or the biggest cars which is strange.

So if there are only 4 of you book separately, if like me you want a 15 seater Virgin is a good deal - if you want extra drivers and child seats.

If anyone can find better deals I would like to hear about them.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Flydrive

Have you had it confirmed by Virgin that you will be given a 15 seater, when we rang them and said we wanted a 12 seater for 8 people the price was increased that is why we booked it all separate and saved £200.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Flydrive

Hi Sunlover

I have been only been pricing via website at the moment. The vehicle selected is a 15 seater, which was a £157 upgrade from the 7 seater original selected by them. When I take it as far as I can on the website it clearly states 15 seater in price profile.

Websies are just for comparison at the moment I either book via phone or face to face where I can.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Flydrive

Hi All

Thought I would give you a bit of an update.

After a couple of more hours of internet and phone calls. I have booked everything separate and saved ALOT

average price for virgin holidays fly drive platinum insurane £6600 3 weeks march 2014.

I decided to scrap the the 15 seater for a 7 seater car I am sure I can fit everything in I was a warehouse man for 10 yrs packing wagons lol, if not I can hire another small car for £360 for the 3 weeks or just lug all the suitcases in a taxi if need be.

Booked flights with Virgin. Booked Villa seperate really nice read many reviews lots of pictures sleeps 10 with great communication with the owners who are british 10/10 for them!!!!!

Finally car hire with Alamo. If you flick through their website u will find a link that gives u an 3 addition drivers for free which was ideal for us as this was 1 of the main thing we needed.

Total saving £1600. I was shocked myself at this figure till I started to think about the prices quoted. Virgin villa are REALLY expensive plus flights through virgin atlantic are cheaper than through virgin holidays.

So thought I would share my experience. Don't be afraid to book seperate you will save money.

:)

The lot

10. Re: Virgin Flydrive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 03, 2014