We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are a family of 4 planning to head to Orlando April, 2014. I'm a teacher, so we are travelling the week before Easter - dates not negotiable, unfortunately! I know it will be crazy...but...hoping it is doable? The other option is summer, but I think the heat is a big hindrance.

We will be bringing 2 girls, 7 and 10 at that time. We plan to visit Disney World, Universal Studios (huge Harry fan in the 10 year old!) and 1 other park... Epcot? Sea World? Not sure...

A few questions, then:

I am leaning towards staying off Disney, at a condo for $$ considerations (plus we may have 4 more adults going, depending...) Thinking about doing a park one day, open - close, then next day hang out and swim. Next park, day off. Etc. Thoughts?

As I look at sites like vrbo, where would the best area be to stay? There are a LOT of choices!!!

Epcot vs. Sea World for 3rd park?

Will it be TOO crazy busy to have fun and enjoy ourselves?

What about sites like Touringplans.com? Worth it?

Open to other suggestions or itineraries.

Thanks again!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

"We will be bringing 2 girls, 7 and 10 at that time. We plan to visit Disney World, Universal Studios (huge Harry fan in the 10 year old!) and 1 other park... Epcot? Sea World? Not sure..."

Disney World is not a park. It is four parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios) and two water parks. For the ages of your daughters, I would recommend Magic Kingdom and Epcot plus one non-Disney park such as Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. Others may have differing thoughts, though.

Edited: 2:20 pm, May 05, 2013
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,197 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is located inside the Islands of Adventure theme park at Universal Orlando, so if you just want to visit that part, simply get a one-day, single park pass for each family member to go there. There's no extra charge, but do get there very early in the morning, and definitely buy Universal's Express Pass for the park on the day you visit (I would buy ahead of time actually) since you are going Easter week.

Easter week is the 2nd busiest time of the entire year in Orlando for visitors, trailing only Xmas/NY week.

As for the choice between Epcot and SeaWorld, you're tickets will be approximately the same price either way, so I would research both parks and see which one interests you and your family more. SeaWorld is animal-oriented obviously, and has only four rides, but lots of shows if you like those better. Epcot is more diverse and has many rides along with a few show/films, but Epcot has the World Showcase where you get a tiny taste of what visiting 10 countries would be like and it's really cool.

My personal choice between the two would be Epcot every time as I love the diversity there.

Take a look at lodging in either the west Kissimmee area or Lake Buena Vista. Davenport is too far away to suit me, but if you find a deal there and don't mind the drive, check it out. If you go with a villa or VRBO property, you'll likely need a rental car, as most of those aren't on the main bus lines.

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

How many days will you be visiting ?

As a side note, with Disney Park Tickets ( they are not Park Specific, can be used at all 4 Parks ) the more days you play,the less it costs per day, so visiting all 4 can be more cost effective, I would leave out Seaworld and add more Disney :)

Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

Just an FYI... Our friends went to both Disney and universal this past Easter, which is spring break for many parts of the country and crowds were extreme. The magic kingdom stopped letting people in around 12 each day as they had reached capacity crowd. Our friends had to wait two hours to get into the Harry potter area and another 3 hours to get on the main ride in the hp section. Just something to consider....

chicago
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

We really loved seaworld, highly recommend it

If you go consider adding aquatica waterpark its fabulous

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

go to seaworld there are actually 5 rides now (but there will be 6 rides starting on may 24th of this year.).there are also at least 4 rides in the kids area.for park recommendations use easywdw(it's free and the most accurate.it also has daily analisis for each park everyday.).also know that wdw is 4 parks.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

We are thinking 1 week, though Saturday - the following Monday is an option. Maybe more days and more time is the way to go. Hmmmmm.... I was thinking 3 parks to have days off in between. You've given me something to think about.

Another question. It seems like it depends what site you look at as to crowds. Undercover Tourist has the week we would go (right before Easter) as medium. Thoughts on reliability, anyone?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

Thanks for the info. It seems the only other time I could go (summer) is just as bad! :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,916 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

yourfirstvisit.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/1…

here's another crowd calendar/best time to go

we've been in August a few times, yes it's very hot and humid, it's still crowded, but less crowded than Easter time. it's definitely manageable unless you can't take the heat/humidity. i wouldn't hesitate to go in August again.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early Stages of Planning. A few ???

Hello, I've just looked at Undercover tourist crowd calendar for March/April next year and it shows the weeks either side of Easter as lower crowds than those prior to this? I don't think this calendar has been updated properly for next year's Easter dates!

I'm going with yourfirstvist!