We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Preferred

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Avis Preferred

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the benefits of joining Avis preferred, I've got the option to join having booked my holiday through BA.

I've looked briefly at it and to join i need to complete my credit card details, why would they want this as i have already paid for the hire car via BA?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis Preferred

Benefits:

1. It's free.

2. It allows you to skip the lines (queues) at the rental car desks at the airport and collect your car at the parking garage across the little road outside the main terminal building. This saves time and possibly avoids high pressure sales pitches from agents trying to upsell options you don't want or need.

The credit card numbers are for any other unforeseen charges like damage. A damage deposit "hold" on your credit card won't cost you anything.

Edited: 2:36 pm, April 30, 2013
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis Preferred

Thanks for the quick reply.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis Preferred

Yep. What was said about skipping the line. I've had Avis Preferred for years and love it. It's especially nice to have at other airports where you have to take a shuttle to the rental car terminal.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis Preferred

Thanks again.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis Preferred

I tried Avis Preferred, the last time I flew with BA, I had to go to the kiosk, in the garage. There was a notice to this effect on the board, that you normally find out where your car is. I think this was because it was my first time.

On thing I was unsure about was the fuel policy, It was bring the car back full.

Edited: 2:03 pm, May 01, 2013
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis Preferred

We are Avis preferred. skip the queues go straight to the garage and check the board which will have your name and allocated car on it. We always get a free upgrade too, we always book the lowest category and get the next one up :)

We nearly always fly BA & get the Avis car through them :)

scotland
Level Contributor
791 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avis Preferred

I booked with BA as well, where / how did you the option for preferred as it would suit me to join ??

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avis Preferred

We joined the BA Executive Club which is free and simple to do this then allowed us to join Avis Preferred via a link on the BA web site.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avis Preferred

When we booked the flight, we had the choice to add a car to the booking, it then asked for our Avis preferred number. We opened another page and joined Avis preferred.

We have also joined BA Executive club.

scotland
Level Contributor
791 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avis Preferred

I managed to join Avis Preferred and have got my card in the post. Avis informed me today that I cannot use it via BA in the USA as it is still a pilot plan and can only be used in the UK, Germany and Switzerland