We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting cars!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting cars!

Hi all,

We are a group of international travellers from Singapore. We are wondering what the rental policies are like for the rental car agencies in USA, particularly Thrifty and Alamo, in terms of debit/credit cards.

2 questions:

1) Our rental online states that the person booking the car needs to have his credit/debit card present. Is this absolutely necessary? Can another credit/debit card be used?

2) Does anyone know how much is the limit or block placed on credit AND debit cards? The driver is 25 years old.

Thanks. Would appreciate all guidance and tips!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting cars!

Well, I'm not much help on this subject seeing that I live close enough to always drive my own vehicle. Can anyone who rents vehicles from these companies regularly answer?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
271 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting cars!

We always book with Hertz and for them YES you do have to have the credit card you booked with on you when you pick up the car. We always prepay but still have to have the credit card on us. I believe reading other posts all rental companies require you to have the credit card you booked with on you. I usually take the option of the full tank of gas and that is held on credit card until we return.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting cars!

Hi all, thank you for your reply.

We booked with carrentals.com and there was no requirement of credit card/debit card at the time of booking to secure the booking. All we had was a booking reference from the different companies. So we were wondering whether the person who reserved the car has to present his (and no one else's) credit card. This is a problem as none of us have credit cards. What we have are only debit cards.

Cork
Level Contributor
629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting cars!

I think alamo and dollar allow you to use a Debit card.

Cork
Level Contributor
629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting cars!

Does it have to be the same credit card you booked with or just a credit card in the lead drivers name?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting cars!

Don't know if this is any help but we booked our car last July with Alamo, through Virgin Atlantic. At the time of booking we paid with debit card from our current account.

We are able to check-in online because of the Virgin connection and I did so last week. During the process Alamo asked for a credit card in the lead drivers name, which I supplied.

It would appear then that the card used for booking doesn't need to be the same one or type presented at time of collection only that the card is in the lead drivers name.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting cars!

<<<<<So we were wondering whether the person who reserved the car has to present his (and no one else's) credit card.

Yes, whoever rents the vehicle must show a credit or debit (if accepted) card in their name. Another persons card will not be accepted.

Edited: 7:00 am, April 23, 2013
8. Re: Renting cars!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 25, 2014