We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Trip report

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Trip report

Now that we are a couple days removed from our trip to Disney, I thought I would give a report, with emphasis that we have young kids age 3 yrs and 10 mos old.

A little background. I am not a particularly big Disney fan, don't like crowds, etc. But I went into our trip with an open mind and soft heart as our 3 yr old LOVES the Disney princesses.

First off, our resort. We stayed at the Art of Animation resort for 3 nights, Finding Nemo suite. Having never stayed in any Disney acccommodation before, I didn't know what to expect. And for the price you pay, I DID expect bigger things than just staying in a regular 3 star hotel. And right on queue, Disney delivered BIG things! This resort is amazing - the theming from the lobby area, to the common areas, the Big Blue Pool, and the suite itself is really neat. We loved our suite, and I particularly loved the Kohler showerhead - I have not taken better showers anywhere and that is the honest truth. My daughter loved the pull down bed: she loved 'sleeping' with Nemo each night and did not want to leave. My wife and I both agreed this is hardly a 'value' resort - you pay a good price but you get a good deal in return. The friendly service puts the resort over the top. Everyone is willing to help you with a smile - even the Airport baggage check in onsite was amazing with its service. We all agreed that if/when we should return to WDW, we WILL be staying onsite again the service was that good.

Now the parks. Bus service to the parks from AoA was good, no complaints. Really glad we turned our rental car back in when we got to Disney, wouldn't have needed it. The first whole day at Disney we did Magic Kingdom, got there just after rope drop. Weather was very warm but I wouldn't say hot. Again, I am not a crowd lover but I found navigating MK doable, I have seen worse. We did mostly the rides geared for small children, Fast Passing when necessary. Never had to wait more than 15-20 mins to get on any ride. We did make sure to endulge in the Mickey ice cream bar and a Dole Whip float- yum! At about 2PM we had lunch and it was starting to get borderline hot and the kids were beat, so I took y'all advice and we hightailed it out of the park and back to our resort for naps (for all even us adults:) Early evening we had reservations at Cindy's Royal Table. Got back to MK just on time to check in for the meal. CRT delivered for us! Our 3 year old just ate up meeting all the princesses. The food was also quite good and our view with a window seat was amazing. Highly recommend even at the price. We then got positioned for the Electrical Parade which was spectacular, followed by Wishes which was the perfect end to a great day (there is Magic in them there fireworks and music by the Castle:) Oh, forgot to mention we took advantage of a little bit of EMH that night and did a couple rides like Its a Small World and walked right on to EVERY ride we tried. Got back to our resort after midnight. Now this all this sounds like we pushed our small kids to the max - in contrary we did not. We meandered through the park, only doing rides as we felt like it. Took a lot of time to sit in the shade and get snacks, allowing our baby to nap in the stroller. We had no agenda. The day was quite long for the young ones, but the pace was slow. **High recommendation to parents of small kids - don't fly from one place to another in MK. Don't worry about missing anything. Just go with your kids flow and it will work out much better.**

Day two we hit Epcot and the Flower and Garden Festival. Did so after eating at Kona for breakfast at the Polynesian (yes tonga toast lives up to the billing, and we got to preview a Deluxe resort as a bonus). Epcot was an amazing sight, all the topiaries and flowers everywhere in the park! First thing we did was Fastpass Soarin. Then we went on a couple rides as our 3 yr old wanted, followed by a tour of the countries. It was pretty hot this day, and our young ones were getting worn out, so again we did not push them and really just walked by most countries and just took some pics. One neat thing my 3 yr old did do is stop at the Kid Stops at some of the countries to get her Duffy the Bear sign 'stamped' like a passport. We ended the day at about 6PM due to the heat with my daughter and wife riding Soarin - they said it was really cool but may not be good for me as I get motion sick. Capped off by doing Spaceship Earth and man has that ride changed since I rode it back in the 90's.

The following day, we checked out of AoA and rode the Magical Exp. back to MCO. Somewhat of a tear in our eyes as we didn't want to leave. This from a guy who came into the experience with an indifferent attitude. Hats off Disney - you make kids happy and make adults into kids and wipe cares away for just a short time, and that is worth a lot!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Trip report

Sounds just about perfect if maybe a little bit short, but now you've been again and know it's not horrendous I'm sure you'll be back. You cannot beat staying onsite IMO, people that haven't just don't understand about the "magic". Thanks for sharing :)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Trip report

You must have picked your timing pretty well. There were some days closer to Easter where they were closing the Magic Kingdom due to capacity.

The last few days the weather has been really nice. I like it when it stays in the 80's. I still haven't had to use the AC, and we have been able to open the back door for a few hours each night.

Did you get to see any of the concerts at Epcot?

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,293 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Trip report

Great trip report and so glad you took the advice about going back to your resort to rest. Its pretty awful to see parents dragging little kids through the park all day and everyone winds up in a meltdown. So much better to take things slow and enjoy what you can get to without racing around. I agree about CRT-it is so overpriced but it's such a big deal to the Princess mad little ones,it can be the highlight of the trip-see how much she will talk about it the future. Staying onsite is certainly not necessary to feel the "magic",we have stayed at all the Moderate and Deluxe hotels and prefer to stay offsite-except when we are traveling with little kids in which case,staying onsite is far more convenient.Hope you will revisit

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Trip report

We will visit again, maybe 5 yrs from now. Yes our trip was short but with such small kids, all of us were really tired when we left so our duration was good for this trip. Gotta keep in mind too we live in the Upper Midwest so 85 to us was bordering on hot. Just not used to it is all. Our heat doesn't arrive till June.

Nope did not do an Epcot concert. Looked fun though......

paisley
Level Contributor
604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Trip report

Did you only stay for 3 nts in total whole trip ? We going next year staying on international drive doing universal seaworld etc then thinking last 3 nights at art of animation to do all disney stuff Epcot magic kingdom Hollywood maybe animal kingdom boardwalk etc will def be going to kona thanks looks fab x

Level Contributor
1,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Trip report

Fab report - thank you for sharing. We found that once you've stayed onsite, it's hard to stay elsewhere. Sound like your 3 yr old had the time of her life! So....when are you going back?!!!!!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,011 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Trip report

Thanks for reporting back, was wondering how it went. We only stay on site for both Disney and US/IOA. You feel like you're in another world :)

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Trip report

Our whole trip was a week but Disney was 3 days. The remainder (prior to Dis) was spent on the Gulf coast on Anna Maria Island.

pa
Level Contributor
53,724 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Trip report

And a Magical time was had by all, swell

Thanks for sharing your holiday with us

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Trip report

You must be a Disney fan now thanks for your TR.