We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Family of 4 staying in late June for 5 nights and visiting all 4 parks for our first Disney experience. We are staying at All-Star Music which brings me to my question. We will have our car, are we better off driving to the parks or utilizing the Disney transportation? I have 2 friends giving me opposite advice based on their trips.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

I usually find the transportation that Disney provides to be very satisfactory. However, as you are staying at the All-Star Music I would recommend you use your own car to get to the parks. The All-Stars are more remote than many other resorts, and they often share their bus transportation. Meaning you have to wait for the buses to stop at the other All-Stars before they get to you. And if you're going to the parks in the morning, sometimes the bus if full before they get to your stop.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Yes, I agree, if you want as quick a journey as possible use your own car for the reasons stated above.

There is nothing worse than wanting to get back at night and being tired (and you will be tired) and having to stop everywhere else.

Alberta
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Or switch to Pop Century and use Disney buses which take you direct and not to other resorts first!

Jokelady

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
349 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

We just got back from the All Star Sports and were very pleasantly surprised with the busses. In the morning. each All Star hotel has its own busses to each park. After the morning rush, busses are shared. At closing, each hotel has its own busses. Your hotel is in the middle of the 3. It will be less than a 5 minute walk to either hotel if their bus is there and yours isn't at closing; you can ride any of the busses.

I felt that contrary to what I have read, their service was faster than our stay at the Pop Century in February.

We waited less than 5 minutes except for one time we waited 12. Not bad at all--it could take that long to wait and ride the tram.

We decided the best advantage to their busses is that you hop on into the airconditioning instead of walking the hot parking lot and getting into your even hotter car!

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

I f you stay on Disney Property and you have a carand use it to go to each individual park are you exempt from the car park charge

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Definately use the Disney transportation - an not your car - for the Magic Kingdom. You have to park at the ticket and transportation area and then take a ferry or monorail in to the Magic Kingdom. We have friends who were there last June and they waited an hour to get on the ferry to the theme park. The buses take you directly to the gates, eliminating one line for the day.

virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Thanks to all for the advice. If this is our biggest issue we should have a very enjoyable trip.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

I agree that it's nice to have the buses take you right to the Magic Kingdom gates, as it does eliminate the extra ride from the Ticket and Transportation Center on either the ferry or the monorail.

But I have to say that in all fairness, the only way that someone waited an hour for the ferry is if they showed up an hour before the ferries started running for the day. The absolute maximum you would have to wait for the ferry is 15-20 minutes, and then, only if it was somewhere between 2 PM and 5 PM when they only run one ferry, and only if you walked up to the dock right after that one had left.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

I take it back - I've seen the line for the ferry boats when the Monorail has gone down for a while, and that was pretty bad. Could've been that a similar situation caused the hour-long wait.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to the Parks vs. Disney Transportation

Use the Disney buses. You are at the middle All Star resort so the 2nd to be picked up and the 2nd to be dropped off even with sharing buses between the other two All Star resorts. It isn't like it take 30 minutes to pick up and drop off the people at the other resort. You don't have to fight the crazy traffic and you get picked up and dropped off up front instead of making the long walk into the parking lots to find your car, fight the horrible traffic, get back to the resort, search for somewhere to park and then make a long walk to your room when you are dog tired. I had much rather get on a bus and let the driver deliver me to my resort. We have stayed at All Star Movies several times which is the third All Star resort in the line-up and have never had to wait that long for a bus or felt that it took way to long for the other All Star resort guests to get on or off at theirs. My daughter enjoys Pop Century more now that she is a bit older so we don't have the shared bus issue anymore but even if I were staying at the All Stars I would always use the buses.