We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

tyler, texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

We will have a car while at WDW. We are staying at Animal Kingdom lodge. I have read that if you drive to MK then you will need to take some shuttle, then a boat or monorail to the front gate of park...Is that correct? We plan on staying at the park all day...just taking breaks within the park. BUT I don't want to deal with lines waiting for shuttle bus, etc on our way back to AK lodge. Would it be best to drive or shuttle?

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

If you drive to Magic Kingdom, you have to park up and then get a small tram (there may well be queues, but they're pretty regular) from the assorted car parks to, essentially, a transportation terminal.

From there, you'll have to get either a monorail or ferry (again, expect queues) to get to the park entrance itself. From parking up to getting into the park, it will probably take about half an hour.

I'm unsure what the shuttle from Animal Kingdom lodge does - I would hope it goes straight up to the park entrance, meaning you bypass the tram/ferry/monorail stuff. Failing that, are there boats from the Animal Kingdom lodge? Sorry, I know practically nothing about that hotel, but others here will.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

Driving to the Magic Kingdom involves a parking tram to the Transportation and Ticket Center where you then get the Ferry or Monorail to the park. If you arrive before park opening you are typically parked close enough that you can walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center eliminating the parking tram step. Either way you'll have to wait with the masses for the Monorail or Ferry at the end of the night and possibly the tram depending on where you are parked.

The AKL bus drops you a short walk from the front gates. Even if you have to wait for 1 or 2 at the end of the night it's the better scenario in my mind.

Parking at the other parks also involves a tram from the end of the row you park in. In the case of the other 3 parks it goes to the front gates. You "can" walk from any space to the gates though many lanes will be too far and I wouldn't recommend it. It's possible you can get to/from faster driving on your own. Try both to see what suits you better. Everyone is different.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

Drive - you can come and go as you please

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

Get the bus, who wants to be fighting the crowds at the end of a long day trying to get back across the lake to you car.

Ferry/monorail then tram then find the car versus walk to the bus stop get on the bus! I know which one I always choose. Disney buses run continuously at peak times, if you can't get on the first bus there will be another along straight away. It's a no brainer!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

I would use the Disney bus service. It is very convenient, drops you off right at the entrance.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,304 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

Drive-much more convenient though of all the Disney hotels,AKL has the best bus service in our experience. At the end of the day,it is so much easier to have your car available. We never take the tram in the parking lot,just park,walk to the ferry and sail over to the MK. The lines for the buses can be horrendous;great to bypass them and get to your car.And when our kids were small,we wanted them properly restrained in car seats. The buses are oacked and you can wind up standing holding your child through a very long ride. You park for free so why not take the car?

Level Contributor
1,076 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

Sorry to jump on this thread but we are staying at OKW and were planning to drive to all parks except MK because of the extra bit to the ticket centre. Should we just drive?

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,304 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

I think driving is always better-and we love the ferry ride to the MK,its a nice part of the day,watching everyone's face as the Castle looms into view

Orlando, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

you can go either way just be aware the line for the monorail at the ttc get get long.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better to drive or shuttle to Magic Kingdom??

If you can park and walk to the TTC to take the ferry, it might not be bad to drive.

But if you have to park, take the tram, then take the monorail, then wait in line at the gate...DON'T do it...that is pure torture. We drove there once and I said NEVER again!