We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Grill?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
California Grill?

Does anyone know when CG is scheduled to re-open? We were hoping to eat there but it looks like we may miss it on our trip from 5th - 13 June as I can't book on the WDW website.

Thanks.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Grill?

They said "late summer" :-)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Grill?

Be interesting to see what people think after it reopens. I swore we would never go back after our experience. It was very over priced, mediocre food and bad service when we were there. For the money we paid we could have had 2 or 3 great meals elsewhere. Nice setting though.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: California Grill?

Thanks for the replies. USlovers where are your favourite places to eat? I'm just reserving restaurants for our trip. So far I have 1900 park fare (breakfast) Cinderella's royal table (lunch), Yak & Yeti, Chef de France, coral reef, (dinner). I'm also looking at Bistro De Paris or Narcoosees for a nice dinner. We really like good food, it's an important part of our holiday, and my 7yr old daughter is pretty good when eating in nice places! I'm not expecting great food at some of the above places, we've booked more for my daughter who is a big princess fan, but we would like to have some great food while we are there.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Oh and we are not on the dining plan, staying at the Waldorf bonnet creek.

Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Grill?

Big fan of Narcossee's here! Try to book around the time of the fireworks (about an hour and a half before) and then you can watch from the restaurant!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Grill?

We're not real foodies and save our "going to nicer restaurants" for places other than Disney. Having said that we always go to Via Napoli, great authentic pizzas & nice setting. We also enjoy Raglan Road, Paradiso 37 & the Wave,

Most of the food at Disney is good but not great and of course you are paying a premium for dining at the mouse's house :)

We enjoy a lot of the Disney places for the fun aspect rather than the food.

Edited: 1:22 pm, March 25, 2013
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Grill?

Try the flying fish on the boardwalk if you like seafood. Great steaks there too. Our favourite, alongside narcoosees and also citricos at the grand Floridian. Enjoy!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Grill?

If you are really into good food, maybe Victoria & Alberts is for you :-)

It is a top restaurant and located in the Grand Floridian Resort.

https:/…

We have never been there yet because we prefer Texas de Brazil instead

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
636 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Grill?

If you ar not on the dining plan and need to cut a restaurant my first choice to cut would be Coral Reef. They are overpriced for the quality of food they are serving. The mac n' cheese was straight out of a box, and they also ran out of key ingredients for desserts. The other main dish was also lacking. Don't get me wrong the service was good but it is up to the mood of the tank as to what kind of show you will get. Also there is no promise you will get a seat close to the tank they are three levels.

Of all the places I have eaten at Disney this is the bottom of the list.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: California Grill?

Thanks again for the replies. I think I will cut Coral Reef as we will be at Seaworld the day before anyway and the reviews of the food seem to be consistently bad! I'd love to go to V&A's but I think I would be pushing it with my 7yr old and not sure kids under 10 are allowed anyway. Now thinking about Citrico's and Flying Fish cafe. It's so hard to choose as there are so many restaurants. Normally I enjoy wandering around having a nosey and then deciding, but I know that won't work out in this case!! I think I will leave two days free so we can eat more casually and snack our way around Epcot or find somewhere off - site!

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,232 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,999 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California Grill?

I share USLovers's opinion of California Grill. It has declined in recent years. An excellent alternative would be Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. Here is a sample menu: http://allears.net/menu/menu_ap.htm