We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I phone use in Orlando - help please

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I phone use in Orlando - help please

Hi

Been trying to work out if I need to buy a US sim or not - my iphone 4 is unlocked so I can put a US card in it - but I am not intending to ring home more than a few times.

I know I will want to use it for Line queues etc but am I confused - if I keep my own Tescos card in the phone - switch data roaming off - will I be able to access the Free Wifi in the parks or do I need a US Sim for this .

Also if we had free wifi working would we then be able to message each other by using an internet based messaging package.

Sorry for all the questions - been trying to read all the ebay card sellers pages but ended up more confused :-)

Hope someone can help

Rowena

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from $128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from $49.99*
$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from $168.99*
Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

I have an old iPhone 3GS which I use but not as a phone. It has no SIM card in it at all and it worked with the Disney wifi fine.

Not sure about the messaging apps but if they work over wifi here with your SIM card removed then they should be ok.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

Wow - thanks for that as I don't really want to spend a fortune on a card that I will hardly use as I plan for us to be too busy enjoying ourselves to look at the phone mucn.

Will try taking the sim out here and test the texting with my son's iphone and my own.

Thanks for the advice

Rowena

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

Leave your UK SIM in and turn off data roaming. You will be able to use wifi. You can use wifi based messaging such as whatsapp or email in a wifi zone.

You can also use apps like Skype, or BT Smart Talk if you are a BT customer. Smart talk ties to your home phone line and gives you calls at your landline rates, even aboard on wifi. Skype to Skype would be free.

If you need to make a lot of calls you could get a US SIM, but not worth it for you by the sound of it. See M4RKM website for info.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

you can use your I phone 4 with face time as long as the person you are facetiming also has this on there phone its free last time we were in Orlando i used it to talk to my daughter at home and you can also see them while talking

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

We used viber to call home, using WIFI. The connection was good in the park. Well MK. You could use iMessage using the parks/hotels wifi obviously as long as you are texting someone with an iPhone.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

Or use whats app

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

my teenagers use Whats App so will download that - already have Viber - Looks like we are sorted :-)

Thanks for all the replies folks - 1 week today flying out to join those Easter crowds lol

Rowena

8. Re: I phone use in Orlando - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 25, 2014