We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to disneyworld

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to disneyworld

I am trying to plan a trip to disneyworld and found the vacation packages. So far i have the dining plan which includes a quick service and table service along with a refillable mug(only at the resort we are staying at) and one snack, also the flights, pop century resort( i found out that that is the best value resort), and admission to a park for six days.

I have never been to Florida so i don't know when is the best time to go to Disneyworld. I don't want it to be crowded and cloudy. I'd like to take nice pictures and not stand in line for over two hours.

I have heard about a book that says could give u short cuts and teach you how to get great discounts and found out that i could get all that info here. I'd like to spoil myself at disneyworld since it's one of my first traveling trips.

budget 3000

The package with flights, resort, 6 day/5 nights, admissions. 2052.

pakcage with dining plan( quick service, table service, snack, and refillable mug), admissions, resort, 6days/5 nights, and flights. 2700.

it would leave me with 300 for souvenirs and possibly more snacks for 6 days. is that enough? i thought it would be. then i thought about what if i find activities there that id like?

What stuff is there to do there thats fun?

is 300 enough for 6 days worth of souvenirs and snacks?

Any short cuts i should know about or ways to save?

when is the best time to go.( i was planning around july-september but then found out thats hurricane season -_-) i need time to save so it would have to be after june.

Please help! any advise would be great =D

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Perhaps the book that you are searching for is "The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2013". That should answer many of the early questions that you have now.

pa
Level Contributor
53,812 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Welcome to the forum

When we have a Package that includes the Dining Plan, we don't spend much more for any extra snacks, the plan includes snack credits. We might buy a fun T-Shirt or sweatshirt but not much else as far as souvenirs go. We do budget money for Tips at our Table service Meals and a few dollars each day for Mousekeeping

As far as things to do, there are 4 Parks to keep you busy each day plus Downtown Disney so not sure what else you might have in mind. We do like to spend time at our Resort as well, all the Disney Resorts are fun, lots of things to enjoy, the Pools especially

September is a great time to visit, we have gone many times in September, might have a bit of rain but nothing awful enough to ruin the holiday. Disney has offered Free Dining in September for many years so you could be looking at a nice savings should you choose that month. The announcement hasn't been made yet but should be along soon ( last year it was announced early March )

Pop Century is a fun Resort and the one I would suggest for a Value

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2207254

Stay with us here on the forum, we can help you sort it all out

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
628 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

You did not say how many people are going? Are children involved?

The reason I ask is they are very inviting things that can add up fast for children. Such as costumes, face painting, and lighted toys before the parade at night.

My suggestion go off site to buy bottle water or bring container from home to carry. The parks will give you free icewater and you can bring in your own so long as there are no glass containers. You are also allowed to bring food/snacks into the park. So you can also pack this from home or go off site to get it once you get here.

Cost to keep in mind: Tipping when you eat at table service restaurant you need to alot tip money. Some times Mousekeeping deserves a small tip for taking extra care of your room. They spend time with towel animals etc..

If you go off site Cab Fair will cost $

Snacks/meals at airport when you are traveling if you have layovers.

No Matter what season it is bring your own sunscreen, poncho, and batteries for camera etc. It does rain even in Jan. These are cost that can be avoided if you plan carefully.

Good Luck!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,895 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Not sure you'll need much if any more for snacks on that dining plan, and souvenir spending is personal, but wanted to reiterate that you'll want to account for tipping at your sit down meal as well as extras such as alcohol.

September is one of the slowest times of the year which means it is good for crowds, and, as mentioned, one where there are often promotions/you can find lower rates. It is still quite hot and humid with daily chances of passing storms. The weather typically improves considerably come October.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Alice: As you are in Dallas, go to "Half Price Books" and pick up a copy of the "Unofficial Guide". You don't need the current year. Although things change at Disney, all the time, the basic information will still be helpful. It is a great planning tool.

September can be a good time to travel for lower rates, lower crowds and perhaps 'free dining". The later in the month, the better. It is very hot and humid in Orlando, until mid October. As Texans we understand the heat, but the humidity is too much for our family. January & February (except President's weekend) are also good months for lower rates, lower crowds, and cooler weather.

Keep asking questions. Planning is half the fun. Enjoy!

phila
Level Contributor
507 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

are you also budgeting in the tips for your sit down meal?

We are booked for Dec. I did the math for my meal plan. (buying meal plan will cost me 770 for two people. And we want to use two credits at the castle for a birthday dinner.

doing the math-- adding in tax I can get 15 meals and 6 snacks for the same price instead of 13 meals and 7 credits.

use allearsnet.com decide on how you will eat. you should spend at least 55. per person per day in order to break even.

Many of our days didnt even break 40 bucks at a loss of 15. pp per day.

Consider going towards the end of Sept. Get 5 day pass and buy a halloween party ticket.

Edited: 8:44 am, February 25, 2013
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

This is a vacation plan for TWO people. NO children. We arent planning to go to the water parks so that would give us two extra days to see a park twice. I did not think about tipping since i don't know how much i would tip at the table services? do you have an idea of how much? I heard that for mousekeeping its a dollar per person per day. Also i did not think about layover time so thank you for that!!! I shall write it on my notes. For some reason when i hopped back on to my disney cart my plan was changed to the basic and took off what i added so i decided to change my date to november to see if there was a big difference of rates. It only went up by 50 and i heard it was a better time because of decorations. I am having a lot of fun planning and watching videos of Disneyworld. I cant wait!!

I've been iffy about the dining plan. I'd like to eat a nice meal but im wondering if id have to go to the high end in order to get my moneys worth. I honestly wasnt planning to eat at a table service everyday. only once with quick service most of the time. i am more of a snack person since i want everything on sight at disney but i dont know how my partner is. It would be his first time at a disney park and his coworkers told him that the food there is awesome. I doubt he'd want to eat burgers and pasta which is why i considered the table service plan.

Thank you all so much!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Hi Alice -

I just booked my May '13 trip through funjet vacations. I spent many hours pricing it out on the Disney website and other airlines doing comparisons. For me it worked out to be the best deal by a few hundred $. They also tend to offer several promo codes which can help a lot (you can google and find these).

Hope this helps!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

Hi Alice, here's a helpful article about dining plans

easywdw.com/worth-2/…

We never use them and always pay less out of pocket and have a table service meal every night

…touringplans.com/2012/…

here's another

Edited: 3:33 pm, February 25, 2013
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to disneyworld

So i have the 6 day admission hoppers but the flights that disney gave me options for did not match my shcedule! i would be arriving there late and when i leave i would be leaving super early! i would be a waste of two days worth of admission which i think would also be a waste of vacation time! just to get there and back would take up two days that i couldve enojyed disney. any help with how i can plan this accordingly? i tried finding flights on expedia but if i combined that with the tickets and the hotel then it would be much more than what disney was offering