We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International calling

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
International calling

Hi,

Me and my family will be going to Orlando in August but my sister will want to phone her boyfriend as he isn't coming and as international calling on pay monthly and pay as you go to the UK from US is rather expensive with O2 being the cheapest at £1.02 per minute.

I was told to look up the Net10 prepaid phones at Walmart which are $25 which includes 750 minutes but unsure if you can use these to call the UK?

Another thing I was told to look up is a phone card? The villa we're staying in has free calls within US but not international (there are a few which do that but sadly this villa isn't one of them). What exactly is a phone card? Where can you get them and how to use them?

Any help with be highly appreciated,

Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,882 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International calling

If you have access to wifi (and have a laptop, netbook or iPad), your cheapest option (free) is Skype.

Livingston...
Level Contributor
501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International calling

T-Mobile in the US do a sim where you can get international calls included.

Might be worth looking into.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International calling

When I went with my sister in June, I got my DH to call the villa from the UK, we get free US calls with our phone. Can he arrange to get free US calls and call your sister at your villa? We're with Talktalk.

Livingston...
Level Contributor
501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International calling

That is a good idea aswell! I forgot about that. If he has Sky landline its £5 for Anytime calls which includes up to an hour to US landlines & mobiles (US mobiles only though)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,491 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International calling

A phone card can give you fairly cheap calls to the UK from here. You buy them at many convenience stores. In a nutshell it gives you a toll free number to call before calling the UK number.

Or you can look at www.pennytalk.com

One thing to be aware of with phone cards ... some charge a fee for every call and some, once you start to use them, the rest of the minutes on the card are only good for a few days. After that the minutes expire.

But Skype is the way to go these days if both parties have computers. It will also let one party with a computer call a landline in the other country for a fee.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International calling

You can use the Net10 phones to call a uk landline.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: International calling

try Skype

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International calling

If they both have iPhones or iPads and are in wi fi areas then they can smoochy woochy using FaceTime :-)

Or if they both download the Viber app they can chat on the phone using wifi for free

Diana

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International calling

Net10 is fine but only works when ringing a UK landline as stated above :-)

dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International calling

do they work when calling ireland?