We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando here we come...again

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando here we come...again

Booking up for July this year, cant book flights yet as we will be using the airline concessions, so looking at MCO or TPA from Gatwick. Need to fly to LHR from MAN in July, as BA stopped the LGW - MAN flights. So coach to Gatwick, then overnight in the new Premier Inn at North Terminal. Has anyone stayed there already? Its the brand new one right at the terminal, rather than on Longbridge way.

Tried for the Sofitel, but they dont offer family rooms anymore (we had them in the past) so their loss!

If we dont get confirmed to MCO or TPA, then its gonna be MIA from LHR and then drive up to Orlando.

5 Days in Orlando, over to Melbourne Beach for 6 days, then Clearwater for 5 days, then it will be chilling in Tampa before driving down to Miami to get a flight home that connects us to Manchester.

Car hire for 3 weeks is more than the flights! Hotels booked with reward points, so just spending money to save for now. Happy days.

Edited: 4:19 am, January 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Melbourne Beach
Melbourne Beach
Brevard County, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando here we come...again

If you do end up flying out of LHR, send me a pm before you book any hotel for your overnight stay. We have stayed at the Sheraton Skyline for free on 4 or 5 occassions now, due to a price matching sites guarantee ;-)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando here we come...again

Thanks, will hopefully know where we are flying out of in June. Sofitel at LHR T5 are quoting over £700 for 1 night in family room. If we can get confirmed from MAN to LHR and then MIA it would be easier,

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando here we come...again

We fly from Aberdeen and likewise don't have a LGW option with BA. Didn't know about the new Premier Inn so thanks for mentioning this. We are going via New York this time and having a few days there.

Did you call the Sofitel as they often don't show it online but you can get it if you book by phone or email?

We are stopping overnight in LHR this time and Sofitel T5 don't have family rooms but always been able to get connecting rooms. This one tends to be a bit more expensive than the LGW one, ESP if you have to pay x 2. Any suggestions of decent alternatives?

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando here we come...again

Looks like Sofitel LHR do offer a family room but I have never been able to find out about one via email or calling. Maybe it's a suite at that price!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando here we come...again

I don't envy you flying into MIA, hate that airport. We have flown into it a few times so that we could drive down to the Keys easier, stayed in the Keys for a while and then driven up to Orlando or toured for the remainder of the holiday but then always flown out of Orlando.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando here we come...again

@Floridashirl - I hate MIA too but needs must. We don't mind a transfer on the way out. Fly to LHR, transfer to LGW, stay overnight in LGW then out to TPA normally. We don't want the hassle of the transfer on the flight home so as much as we are not MIA fans, it's the better option for us.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando here we come...again

lassie....we do the same if we can. Overnight at LGW, then onto TPA (stay in the Intercontinental) or MCO (airport Hyatt). Get hire car in the morning when there are no queues.

I really do not want to enter the US through MIA, but dont mind coming back into LHR and then onto MAN - no way do I want to get the coach round M25 after the overnight flight from USA.

With regards to LHR hotels, there is a Premier Inn close to T5, which is nice. Or there is a Travelodge the other side of the M25, which is usually cheaper, but not as comfy in my opinion. I use Travelodge when I am on my own, but Premier Inn usually with the wife and 2 teens now they Sofitel prices are sky high.

Edited: 7:17 am, January 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Orlando here we come...again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 12, 2014