We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with 1 year old

Manchester
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Topic
Flying with 1 year old

i wanted to make sure me and my wife sat together with out son on the flight but virgin said they cant guarantee that. it might a case of just one of us sitting with our son at the front as they will be in the sky cot

any advice on how we stay together without paying for another seat on the plane for our son

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with 1 year old

I was under the impression that carriers always kept families together as far as they can. I've been moved from my chosen seat a few times, I always assumed this was part of the 'Juggling' they do to allow groups/families to be sat together.

I think the chances of you being split up are pretty slim.

Gateshead, Tyne...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with 1 year old

When we flew too orlando with virgin we were next to a couple with a baby and the woman wanted her parents to sit next to them too and for us to swap but we had paid extra for the seats we were in plus the couple were rather rude to us so we declined to move. They may keep couples together but I dont think keeping families together is priority to them. Hopefully that doesnt make me sound horrible lol just trying to be helpful

Edited: 8:30 am, January 08, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with 1 year old

Well new policy on many airlines is that your seats cant be confirmed until you check in at the airport which I hate. I have booked numerous flights over the last year and have always picked a seat with my party and then when its time to pick up my ticket. One person is over here one over there its a mess. What I would suggest is calling the airline as your flight gets closer to see what they can do. I actually just called spoke with AMEX who I booked flights through and chose seats and they said basically they put in your seat request and the airline handles the rest..... good luck

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with 1 year old

Have you though about what it will be like to have a year old on your lap for 9 hours, especially if you re split up. A lap child is fine on short haul but very tiring on long haul. Even more difficult if you are split up.

It is also much safer for your child to sit in their car seat rather than on your lap, especially if there is turbulence. Buy a seat and if possible use his car seat.

Livingston...
Level Contributor
501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with 1 year old

Get there early so you get the first choice of seats :P

I was on a flight with Flyglobespan and they had everyone split everywhere. When there was a child who was crying badly for their parent they put a call over asking if anyone would be willing to swap seats and be apart so they could sit with their mum. I'm sure someone volunteered.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,971 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with 1 year old

Reserve your seats on line and check in online 24hrs before you fly.

You can reserve seats 90 days before you fly

OK they aren't guaranteed but we have never had the seats we reserved changed

Of course I am assuming you didn't already know you can do this?

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
198 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with 1 year old

We have just flown to Florida with Virgin.....I agree that you should try and reserve your seats online. However, unfortunately note that you cannot check in online as suggested above when you have an infant in your party.

We were kept together and from what I’ve been told, they do not separate immediate family members (so children and their parents). For our outbound flight we made sure we got there in plenty of time (around 3.5 hours) as I was concerned about being split up as we hadn’t been able to check in online beforehand. We were given the seats I had selected via Virgin’s website some weeks/months prior. However, when we got to the gate our name was called out to make ourselves known to a member of the gate staff. When we did we were told we had to be moved. Our new seats were 2 rows behind the originals seats.

When we boarded I noticed that the couple that had been assigned to our original seats had a spare seat between them and that they were (with all due respect) a ‘larger’ couple and I could only assume that they would be uncomfortable if the third seat on their row was occupied. I was a little bit miffed as they weren’t exactly huge and at the end of the day it was down to the airline making a couple comfortable by moving them to a row with a spare seat or leaving a family in their chosen seats allowing them to be more comfortable with an 18m old being able to spread out a little. At the end of the day though we hadn’t paid for an extra seat and we were still together so couldn’t exactly complain.

So be aware that your selected seats can change and are not guaranteed but it is very unlikely that you would be separated.

8. Re: Flying with 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 11, 2014