We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs duty

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Customs duty

Can anyone explain the duty situation?

I find it odd that after paying ticket price + sales tax, the US charge you again at the airport!

I can understand getting charged import duty over this side, but not on leaving the states.

Or am I totally wrong in my understanding of how it works?

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
781 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs duty

I think you may have misunderstood (unless I have)

The Customs duty is this end on entering the UK with any more than £1500 worth of goods.

I hope so anyway :-)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs duty

You're way off te mark tom h, the allowance which can be brought into the UK before tax is £390 pp.

Have a look at this link; hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…arrivingnoneu.htm

Edited: 10:49 am, January 07, 2013
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs duty

Thought I must have been mistaken!!!

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
781 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs duty

My apologies,

My mistake was to round up the allowance for 4 of us and I had that figure in my head as the total.

Thanks for putting me straight :-)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs duty

Lol, just remember that allowances are not allowed to be shared though and any single item over the £390 would be subject to duty, so no bringing back your rental car ;-)

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs duty

So, just to be clear.......

The US authorities won't charge you anything when you leave the USA. The airline might want money for baggage weight however.

When you arrive back in the UK, you are entitled to bring in:

1 litre of strong liquor per adult or other stipulated quantities of lesser drinks

200 cigarettes per adult or other stipulated quantities of other tobacco items

and

GBP390 worth of other goods per passenger regardless of age. No one single item may be worth more than GBP390.

If you exceed any of these and you don't declare them (Red Channel) then you are guilty of smuggling.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs duty

If I don't take any or minimal clothes with me and buy all my clothes out there and wear them each day while I'm there (rather than spend my money here on more expensive goods), would I still have to declare them as they would be used and not tagged / new.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs duty

No Plymouth you wouldn't, unless your dressed head to toes in REALLY expensive designer gear, wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and adorned in Tiffany trinkets :)

I do all my clothes shopping in the US, customs really aren't interested in little stuff like personal clothes, more likely looking for drug smugglers and the like.

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs duty

Having watched the news today and the fact that criminals are bringing tasers and stun guns in the country (one of those guns giving out a massive 1 million volts) I am hoping that the customs and border control personnel concentrate on these first ;-)

Diana

10. Re: Customs duty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 09, 2014