We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with young child from the uk

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with young child from the uk

Hi has anyone traveled from the UK to Orlando with a young child? Did they have their own seat or sit on your lap? Planning on taking our twin girls when they are 2 but not sure how they or we will cope with them sitting on our laps for the whole flight. Booking them their own seats adds £700 and not an option. Would like feedback from anyone who has personal experience, many thanks

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

I am not sure on this but I think children aged 2 years and up, have to have their own seats. Its only infants aged 0-2 that can sit on an adults lap.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will come on and answer your question.

Have you checked with the airline you are planning on using?

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

Thanks for your reply, they'll actually be 22 months when we travel nearly 2 but not quite. Have got a good quote with virgin but know from experience the leg room isn't great, looking at thomson too whose leg room is better.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

You wont be able to sit together, only one lap child per row

chicago
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

You wont be able to sit together, only one lap child per row

Maybe buy one seat?

Helens Bay
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

My daughter took her twin boys to San Fran, drove to LA to Vegas and then flew to Orlando in August last year when they were 8 months old. We booked the bulkhead seats and got two bassinets.

We are off to Orlando with them again in 2 weeks. Best to do it early I say, so that they can get used to flying and you don't have to pay for a seat.

Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

I can only speak drom personal experience, but when we took our DD on a holiday to Spain at 14 months she was on our knee. It was ok but i really couldn't imagine having her on my knee for 9 hours.

If it was me i would do one of two things, as a previous poster has said, you could buy 1 extra seat and use it to swap and change etc throughtout the flight, but if it was me i would just save for a bit longer to afford the extra seats for them both. Thats just my opinion tho xx :-)

Level Contributor
1,201 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

We did it with one 12 month old and whilst he was v well behaved it was tiring so I'm imagining twice so with twins.

Bear in mind they are too big for the sky cots so consider how they will sleep on the flight. As other posters have said if you get one seat it may help. With infants I know virgin do permit some car seats to be used on the plane on a seat purchased for a child. I have only ever seen the rear facing ones but they may permit forward facing ones. You'd have to ask. This way they could nap comfortably.

Also consider that even if you have infants you are not guaranteed the bulkhead seats. When we last went on the way out we had standard seats in one of the centre rows meaning people in front reclining their seats etc.

I am all for keeping flying as cheap as possible, we have to pay 2 child fares this time but I'd definately call the airlines and see what they can offer.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

Could not imagine how a 22 month old could sit on your lap safely and comfortably for 9 hours to be honest - our youngest son has just turned 2 and will be 2 and a half by the time we fly so booked 3 seats for all of our 3 sons. At 22 months there is no way he would have been happy to not have his own seat to sit in, and would have been a major uncomfortable wriggly bottom if asked to sit on a lap for that space of time.

As others have said think it is 2 years which is the limit for lap sitting on a flight but 22 months is very close to that limit.

If I was you pay the extra for the 2 seats if you can swing the extra cash, dont think you will regret it.

Have a great time when you go!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

We are doing Orlando this June there are 4 adults and a 4 and a half year old and a 23 month old. We decided to do our youngest on our laps as we couldn't bring ourselves to pay the extra hundreds of pounds to get her her own seat.

We have flown with her a couple of times before on our laps and I have flown a 8 hour flight with her sister when she was 20 months old on my lap.on my own and I was 6 months pregnant back then. It was hard but I managed.

I can imagine that doing it with two would be much harder and think if I had the money I would pay definitely 1 if not 2 of the seats but you could do it on laps if you don't have the free money.

They say that the age is up to 2 on laps and that is for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I know when we go this June it's not going to be easy for us either and we've only got 1 on our lap but there will be 4 adults to swap her about.

Id say go with what you can afford. Either way you do it, you'll have an amazing holiday :-).

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with young child from the uk

We've been taking our twins since they were 11 month old.......

Bought seats for them every time..........

9/10 hours (depending on the wind) is not my idea of a comfortable flight.......

Once we even upgraded on Virgin & we could of used empty seats around us, but hey, we couldn't guarantee that, so better safe than sorry.......

As others have said.......maybe get one extra seat......