We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drink driving ban

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
drink driving ban

father Just had his licence back after a yr ban, will he be ok to enter USA

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: drink driving ban

My husband had a drink driving ban 28 years ago. Obviously he was arrested so we weren't sure if he needed a visa. We rang the embassy and they said he did need to apply for a visa. He has travelled on this visa many times and immigration always question why he has a visa. When my husband tells them it is for an old drink driving ban they are mystified and on our last visit to USA they told him not to bother to renew it when it expires as that particular officer didn't think it was necessary. When it expires we will have a real dilemma because it is probably on record that he has been travelling previously with a visa, so if we don't renew they could query that fact and not allow him entry. I think as far as the embassy are concerned if they hear the word 'arrest', regardless of the nature of the offence, they say apply for a visa. x

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: drink driving ban

Getting legal advice on a travel forum is a very bad idea. Contact the US Embassy who actually can give you the true story

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: drink driving ban

Best thing to do is contact the American embassy and see what they say.

Fill in the ESTA as per the questions.

You are still OK to drive in the US as you are now legal to drive in the UK as you have your licence back.

ajg

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: drink driving ban

We traveled to USA on three previous occasions as we were unaware of the law regarding arrests and visas. As soon as we were aware I obtained a visa. I live in Wales so it meant 4 hours each way to London and about £100 to obtain the visa however I felt it was money well spent. I would rather spend the time and money every ten years and be safe in the knowledge that I would be admitted than risk ruining a holiday that cost us in excess of £6000.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: drink driving ban

Life was much easier with the green visa waiver form you completed on the flight

How many people who have applied for visas would have answered yes to the "question" when on the flight??

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: drink driving ban

read the question it does not ask if you have ever been arrested

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,246 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: drink driving ban

Not so sure about driving a car.

Don't you still have mucho points on your license even if you get it back after a ban? Many rental companies won't rent to you if you have had DD convictions or 6 points or more.

18. Re: drink driving ban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 04, 2014