We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad shopping question?

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
iPad shopping question?

I would like to buy an iPad 32g wifi version and wondered would it be better to buy it in Florida once on holiday or do they sell them in duty free at Gatwick, anyone how much they retail at in Florida v Gatwick? Many thanks

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: iPad shopping question?

"if you go through with the ipad in the original box then you are very likely to get pulled. If you go through with it in unboxed in your hand luggage then you are very unlikely to get pulled.

That is the point!!! You may not like it, but that is the fact!"

What a stupid comment!

I don't know many people who would go through customs waving the boxed ipad above their head! The whole point of throwing the box away is to avoid paying duty on the item, not avoiding getting pulled!

You can get pulled regardless, they will not see if the ipad is boxed or unboxed until you have been pulled!

Telling someone to leave the packaging behind is blantantly telling the person to try and avoid paying duty, not to avoid getting stopped.

Your choice what channel you re-enter the UK customs through, but we should all be aware this is a public forum, and should not be advising people to break the law.

Edited: 3:08 pm, December 30, 2012
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: iPad shopping question?

"For the UK, it's likely that HMRC has a similar procedure. Registration involves going to a customs office (appointment preferred) before traveling, and officially recording potentially suspicious items that you wouldn't want to lose. In the US, an officer must physically inspect the item and then can either record a serial number on a watch or camera, or they can keep a provided photo of unique property. No sales receipt is required if the item is already in the country. I can then carry a copy of the registration for the watch, jewelry or camera. Especially where an expensive item has been passed down through the family but doesn't obviously qualify as an antique, it would be a good idea to take such a precaution, because an officer's decision to confiscate can be a subjective one, and could result in extensive administrative problems, and rarely, even loss of the item."

This is what a lot of my colleagues do, as we travel to the USA frequently. Basically we register serial numbers of laptops, and other electrical devises.

We also got a customs receipt for my wifes watch, incase we get stopped again. Dont need to take a shed load of receipts around with us.

Has nobody watched the UK TV programme "Nothing to declare" when they say "have you got any documentation to prove where you got it from"

Obviously not an issue for the once a year brigade, but for those that travel a lot for work and leisure, it can be a real hassle.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: iPad shopping question?

I think the main point to this thread is............

Be "aware" what your customs limit is.............

Should you choose to buy items that exceed you total allowance, then wander through, the "Green" lane & find yourself being stopped......... "Sorry officer, I didn't know what I was allowed".....is no defence.......

Posters who say "every plane" is full of people who have exceeded their allowances......

Suggesting that its OK..........

It is OK.............. Just as long as "your" not the one who gets stopped......

I always find it funny, "people watching" at the arrivals hall, you can usually spot some rather nervous faces, as they walk through the Green Lane, & yes I've also seen quite a few pulled over.........................

Is it worth it to save a few quid?????????

Probably.................................lol.........................

Should we do it??????????

Probably not..................................lol.........................

Philadelphia...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: iPad shopping question?

Take a look at Target when you are in Florida. As many people have said Apple doesn't really let retailers discount their products. The prices are pretty much set. Where you will find a "discount" is that some retailers will offer you a gift card with it. I got my iPad and got a $50 gift card with it.

If Target is running a special you can by the iPad in the electronics department and they will give you the gift card there. Once you do that you can shop for other stuff there and check out at the main registers. They sell groceries there so if you need that stuff you can use the gift card for that purchase. The gift card might take about 20 minutes to activate.

You can check the Target ads online before you go to see if they are running a special. Might be a good idea to call before you go to make sure they are in stock. Best Buy sometimes does the gift card specials too.

grimsby
Level Contributor
618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: iPad shopping question?

If I bought a I pad from walmark and kept the packaging and receipt could I take back to asda ( part of the same family ) if something went wrong and as for the 390 pound limit per person I was not aware of this and was under impression as long as local tax was paid I could bring what I wanted ,, I must have broken the law about 9 times now

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: iPad shopping question?

AS far a gift cards go, sometimes BestBuy offer them as well with Apple products. The only way they can get around the pricing issue.

If you stick to one at $599 or less, you should squeak under the duty threshold.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: iPad shopping question?

Hi jayne

I'm sure I've read on other forums, you can take it back to Asda, as long as you've got the original receipts.......

Maybe check with them before you buy, just to be sure..........

If not I'm (almost) sure you can take it back to an Apple Store.....

28. Re: iPad shopping question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014