We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report December 6-16

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report December 6-16

Aloha my DD are back from the Land to the World it was a great trip.

I decided to do just one big report Day 1-9 is California and Day 10-16 is Florida. I want to Thank all the help I received and some great tips from the Forums of Orlando, Anaheim and San Diego

Day 1: Flew to San Diego stayed at the Inn on the Park( Did a review)for two nights, We received some magic on our Zoo admission were able to get in for 1/2 price . We walked to the Zoo from the hotel but took a cab back we were exhausted. This was our first time in San Diego what a beautiful city definitely will go back. We enjoyed the zoo tremendously our favorite was the Giant Panda's they really put on a show.

Day 3: Took Amtrack (business class) from San Diego to Anaheim, this was our first time on the train, I am glad we did the business class this allows you to sit upstairs, a snack, glass of wine or other things and free wi-fi. For the most part you see the coast. When we arrived in Anaheim we took a cab to the Red Lion

(see separate review) had dinner at Marri's,( tip from TA )very Old school Italian, it is in a funky shopping center and would of walked right by if we did not know. Its was a delicious meal.

Day 4: Knotts Berry Farm, we did the Toys for Tots promo ( Tip from TA) I paid for it online it cost $5.00 more to do this vs buying a toy at Knotts, I was a little nervous of the crowds , we practically had the place to ourselves Had the latest lunch we could at Mrs. Knotts Chicken (Tip from TA) we walked right in, it was around 4pm, after we left line was getting long. We used Art for our transportation the only negative thing.

Day 5-9: Disneyland for 3 days we bought the 3 day Park Hopper we did ART for our transportation this worked good) just not for Knotts). The one thing I would do differently is stay at one of the hotels across the street. Loved how close the parks were and hopped allot We were able to do to Indiana Jones while Fantasmic was going on the night before the official opening, we were just walking by and noticed they were doing a trial run, we walked on after that I never saw the line less then 160 min wait. Loved the Small World Christmas it was beautiful. We were able to ride everything but the roller coasters my DD wont go and this trip is more for her then me.

The Aladdin show was fantastic we received some more magic and were able to get preferred seating we were front and center just awesome.

World of Color is not to be missed show. The first night we went to the first show at 8a had a fastpass for the yellow section. As soon as it started all the kids going up on there Dad's shoulder we could hardly see, we ended up leaving. The last night we walked over for the 10:30 pm had no fastpass were able to go to the blue section right up front. (Tip from TA) .

Carsland was AWESOME you feel you walked right in to Radiator Springs the only good ride in IMO was Radiator Springs Racers. we only did it once the line was too long

Places we ate we shared most things all the places we dined we TA tips including what to order, all were good

Reservation Places

Blue Bayou (Monte Cristo)

Mickeys BBQ

Quick Service

Plaza Inn: Chicken Dinner

Red wagon :Corn Dog

Flos' : Steak

Rancho del Zocalo: Carne Asada & Red Chile Enchilada Platter

Snacks

Micjkey's Pretzel

Royal Street Veranda :Fruit Fritters ( I had these 2 times)

Mint Julep Bar: Mickey-shaped Beignets

Pacific Wharf Cafe Soup in Bread bowl, a regret I did not get a Mickeys Boudin bread. (Tip for TA)

Day 10- Arrived Orlando early in the morning we were able to check into our room right away had a lake view and the Art of Animation. We had the meal plan and a 4 day park ticket (Non hopper) The first night we had dinner at T-Rex the food was good just to noisy for me, glad we did it just never again. They also charged us the tax which this is the only time this happened on the meal plan.

Day 11- Animal Kingdom it was a nice day and we really enjoyed ourselves. We had Breakfast at Pizzafari lunch at Flametree shared a meal and dinner at Boma's I really enjoyed it and am glad we went and were able to see Animal Kingdom Lodge too.

Day 12- Magic Kingdom Breakfast at 1900 Park Faire we really wanted to see be Our Guest the lunch line was an hour long.

My DD who is scared of every roller coaster, I convinced her to do splash mountain she liked it. May be next trip we can do Space Mountain

Day 13- My DD went to Seaworld with a relative and I met a old high school friend who happened to be in Florida we went to Epcot, this was the only cold day we had but it was manageable.

The new Test Track is allot better IMO then the old one.

We just snacked and Drank around World Showcase (Tip from TA)

Day 14- Epcot with my DD we did the highlights and a late lunch at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. My regret not getting the toe socks in Japan.

Day 15- Hollywood studios we were able to get both stories on the Movie ride, We say Beauty in the Beast which we missed the last time, I cried at the end. We ended up eating at Mama Melrose that I booked that morning, we were going to go to Cat Cora's but both of us were really tired.

Mama Melrose was very good better this time then last year.

Highlights:

We were notified for a fast pass plus that entitles you to 3 reservation in Magic Kingdom and 3 at Hollywood studios. The preferred seating for the Electric Light parade was worth it in itself, We were unable to see it last year this time we were right up front.

The Photo pass plus we were able to download our pictures from Disneyland trip onto are Plus card. Wish they had more photographers my first day I thought I would not need my camera and boy was I wrong. A good tip bring your own camera too.

If you have any questions please ask, I have gone on to long already.

Happy Travels to everyone

Aloha Lihuegirl

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,860 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

You didn't go on too long Lihuegirl, the longer the better.

Thanks for reporting on both, I would love to go back to Disneyland (went a million years ago, was just Magic Kingdom then..lol).

So the weather was better this time in Orlando? That's good :)

Do you think you'll go next year again?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! xx

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

I was wondering how your trip went! Thanks for the report....sounds like you had a great time. How old is your daughter?

What section of Art of Animation were you in, and how did you like it?

Did you see the Osborne lights or the candlelight processional?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Thanks Princess you should go to Disneyland sometime I know it is far for you, but you can do other things in Cali too instead of just a theme park. We will not be going next year, the only reason we went twice in one year is Because of our free airline tickets, we wont get them again now until 2014. It was a nightmare getting home on standby it took us 3 days and those free tickets ended up costing me $600.00 with the extra lodging and meals. I think in the future I would rather just buy our tickets.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Aloha

Hi Carmela,

My DD is 25 she has special needs where she never matured more then a 5- 7 year old. We stayed at the POP but could see the Art of Animation across the lake. We did Candlelight processional last year, so this year we did not. Yes we did Osborne lights spectacular.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year Aloha

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

how do you get preferred seating for the electric parade?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Aloha Travelingangelgirl,

We were just picked I did not do anything, Disney sent it to me in the mail. It was two fast pass plus cards, you went online and picked from several options 3 for Magic Kingdom and 3 for Hollywood studios. This was in addition to the regular fast pass.

The Electric Light Parade was an option, it was awesome we were front row right in front of the castle. I had never heard of it before but several people with green fast pass plus card. Hope you get lucky and get it too.

Aloha

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Enjoyed your report LihueGirl, I would love to visit California, one day maybe ... ;)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Mahalo CheshireBurt, Hope you do get to visit one day!

Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year Aloha

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Aloha LihueGirl, I've been wondering how your trip went. Sounds like it was a busy but great time. At least you're not back to cold, miserable weather. Happy planning for next trip.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

Aloha Jobelly,

Your right I am so glad to be home, I need a vacation after that vacation.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Aloha

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report December 6-16

LOL LihueGirl...I just woke an hour ago after sleeping in and still feel exhausted...a vacation at Disney in December and then the hectic Christmas season...you really do need another vacation!

I am very thankful for another week off from work