We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

Dublin, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

We are going to Orlando - FL and staying in Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista for 5 days. They say that they have shuttle services for disneyworld, universal studio as well as sea world. These are the places that we will actually intended to see. However i want to know, how stressful is it to wait for shuttles. Will it be good idea to rent a car instead? Renting a car is costing me around 500 bugs so i am just confused what should i do. I want to enjoy this vacation without any stress but at the same time don't want to waste money unnecessary. Please suggest. Please please please.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

For Disney, they have the best shuttles anywhere off disney property- abt every 30 mins. For Seaworld you just catch the Lynx no50 bus outside on hotel blvd.

For Universal, would need more details on their shuttles (ie can they get you there for opening and late return if you want?). If not, I'd take a taxi instead.

New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

I would rent a car. Depending on the size of the car, you may be able to get it for cheaper. By renting a car you have the freedom to go whereever and whenever you want. You can also eat anywhere. I just like the idea of the freedom and not depending on shuttles or buses to get around. Search through budget, avis, dollar, etc, you may bet a good deal

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

500 bugs? Is that $500 for 5 days?? Are you sure? That is highly unusual for a rental to cost that much. What are your dates?

Edited: 12:38 pm, December 20, 2012
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

$500 for 5 days - what are you renting a Hummer limo???

Dublin, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

Thanks amanx, noelle1156, hawkey,susieb for your reply. I am renting Economy car from Enterprise from 21 Dec to 26 Dec from Orlando airport. Total with tax is coming about 363 USD. I also take Damage waiver which is 24 USD per day if i can recall correctly. So total it is coming around 500 USD.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

If that is the best price you can get then I would forget about car rental and stick to shuttles although they are so restrictive and would drive me potty

Edited: 2:05 pm, December 20, 2012
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

The DTD hotels have their own shuttles which are very good and you can also access Disney transporttion from DTD to the Disney resorts at the Marketplace-so you don't have to have a car. But it would make your life easier and more convenient if you rented one-to Universal and Sea World,the shuttles are not free and they are infrequent. And $500(is that what a bug is?) is a lot even over Christmas. Check www.hotwire.com and www.priceline.com. We pay around $12-$15 a day for a midsize car in Orlando.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

our car (suv),is coming in at about $1100 for 3 weeks.platinum package with virgin holidays,,,,,i thought that was steep ,phew $500 for 5 days is a rip off.

i would take the shuttles and taxis ,i guess you would not spend more than $200 ,,you can treat yourself with the $300 change.:)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

There are 3 HI in LBV- do check it is the one on Hotel Blvd, and not the one on rt 535 (as that one is not on a bus route so you'd need a car)

Last time I rented an SUV, it was abt 300 quid for 10/11 days.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,183 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should i rent a car in Orlando FL?

Try Hotwire or Priceline you might find a deal and that LDW is a ripoff .