We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New Jersey to Florida

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from New Jersey to Florida

Want to drive from central New Jersey to Ft Lauderdale. Want to drive about 6 hours per day. We can take up to four days to get there. Where would overnight stops be located.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

Average about 50 mph when you consider stops for this and that. So that means you will be driving about 300 miles. Use any of the online map websites to see where each 300 miles of driving will get you and you'll get an idea of where you need to stop. Of course it doesn't have to be exactly 300 miles for each segment.

Edited: 9:24 pm, December 11, 2012
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

For better results, try the Road Trips forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

This sounds like the start of one of those funny math problems!

Last time we did Orlando to MD we drove through the night! 95 is a boring drive. I sure wouldn't want to take 4 days doing it. Even my parents knock it out with just one overnight. Have you considered the autotrain?

Va
Level Contributor
11,270 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

6 hours a day to ft lauderdale would take about 3 days. Day one would be the trickiest to time out because you have to get through Philly, Baltimore, and dc. Typically it would be 3 hrs to dc, but if you hit rush hour you will be stopping in Fairfax.

Ideally if you can time it right you should be able to make it to the va/nc border in 6hrs. There are lots of hotels in Roanoke Rapids.

The next day you could could push on through nc and sc and stop in savannah. From savannah you are about 7 hrs to ft lauderdale.

A little extra driving any day could change your stop points. There are many hotels along the route. The stops I mentioned all have multiple hotels.

pa
Level Contributor
54,412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

I would also rethink the 4 day travel plan

If you could kick it up to 9 hours a day, you would only need to stop half way, for one night

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

We did New Orleans to Ormond Beach in November. We were going to stay overnight in the Panhandle but the time it took was a lot less than we thought it would be so we just did two coffee breaks and it took 11 hours. sungod's suggestion sounds a good place to start as I think Savannah would be a lovely place to stay :-) or if you are happy to do a nine hour drive with a couple of stops then Partypa's suggestion seems a good one.

Diana

7. Re: Driving from New Jersey to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 18, 2013