We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

OK, well I finally decided to book a trip for our family of 4 to Orlando/Disney today. Best flight options going into MCO vs. other FL airports, and our 3 1/2 year old will love it! We also have a 10 mo old who, yes, could care less but thats ok we can always come back.

At any rate, I need to start the search for lodging for us, for at least 3-4 of the 6 days we are there. To start, is a Disney owned lodging experience a must? They seem to be a fair bit more expensive than those outside the premises. What do they offer that the outside places don't? If this is the way to go, which Disney property would be the best for a family with young children? Someplace where it is not hugely overrun by teens or loud - with a nice pool complex younger kids can enjoy.

If a Disney lodging stay isn't a must, then which outside resorts should we consider? Really looking for a place that has nice grounds that we can walk around, swim, etc. With easy access to our room so we can pop inside and change a diaper if need be:)

Have checked out places like Floridays and it really looks nice.

Thanks everyone

pa
Level Contributor
53,893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

When are you hoping to travel ?

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

Hilton Parc Soleil is a good option. 5 mins drive from Downtown Disney, brilliant pool and playground, loads of kids activities. You can get a 1 bed suite with full kitchen and washer dryer or take an interconnecting studio and 1 bed suite to make a 2 bed suite.

Just back from our 3rd stay and don't think we'd stay anywhere else now, tried hotels onsite and offsite as well as villas and it just ticks all the boxes for us.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

We are traveling between the 1st and 2nd weeks of April. For 6 days.

Yes I know, it will be busy those weeks. Don't care, as that is when is best for us as a family to get away.

Edited: 9:28 pm, December 10, 2012
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

We really enjoy staying at the Marriott Harbour Resort. They have a studio room that has a queen bed and a roll out, micro, and small fridge. They also have one and two bedrooms with full kitchen, livingroom, two bathrooms, and laundry room. All rooms have a screened in balcony. They have a zero entry pool that has a pirate ship with small slides. Tons of kids activities. It is a gated resort, no private bus shuttle. So you would need to rent a car, ride the public bus, or rent a taxi to go to the parks. It is located right behind SeaWorld. Half way between Universal and Disney. It took us 10 minutes at the most to get to the Disney parks. If staying on Disney property and want to save some money the value resorts are nice for little ones.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

**Update to my original post.

We would like lodging that offers at least a light breakfast, free transportation to the Disney Parks, free parking, and if possible, a restaurant or two on premises or close enough to walk to.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

can't think of anyplace that offers everything you are looking for for free. The Hilton Bonnet Creek is very nice,has a great pool bar and plenty of space and shuttles to Disney. We like the ES/Staybridge suites which are convenient,restaurants nearby,shuttles to disney and free parking. Also Marriott Harbour Lakes is very good,also the Residence Inn LBV.doubletree Guest Suites at DTD is comfortable,the shuttles to Disney are excellent and run every half hour-most hotels only have a few shuttles in the morning and a few in the evening so may not fit your schedule. Since you are going Easter Week,you know everything will be crowded and certainly the pools at every hotel are-maybe not at the very uopscale ones like the Ritz(and that is a lovely hotel).I don't think its necessary to stay at a Disney hotel and they are very overpriced-but with small children you might want to consider that option seriously-you can't rely on hotel shuttles so unless you are renting a car,disney might be a good choic. check out the Ft. Wilderness cabins,they sleep six and are very comfotable

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

Thank you I will look into each of those ideas. If we had to, we could forgo the breakfast and get groceries for a week, not a deal breaker. But I am not paying for parking (total rip off IMO). A suite type arrangement is a must as well, or cabin type. Must have separate sleeping rooms as our young ones will sleep best if there is not noise from the rest of the room.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

I love the Caribe Royale. We had a 2 bed, 2 bath with full kitchen facilities and a laundry which came in really handy with small kids. They have 2 pools as well as a great kiddy play/pool area. We just had cereal etc for breakfast each day or you could go to the restaurant for breakfast, it wasn't expensive. Parking was free and they do have a shuttle bus to the parks but with small children I would drive and pay the parking fee for the convenience to leave when you want to. You only pay parking once each day at the parks so if you leave and come back later you don't pay again.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions I did earnestly check out each hotel and if it would fit the bill for our 6 nights in FL, incl. amenities, location, price, etc.

I ultimately decided to book the newly remodeled Best Western Premier Saratoga Resort Villas. The reviews (while not yet plentiful) were good on this place, it was a suite-type arrangement, and the grounds look amazing. Pretty close to WDW and offers a shuttle although we will have a rental car too. Only downside I can see is no free breakfast (I don't think, but not completely sure).

The BIG kicker was the price: $800 total (incl. tax and fees) for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom villa. I thought this was really good, and at least $200 better total than other places I checked out.

Looking forward to our trip!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging near Disney for Family with Small Children

It seems like a very nice resort(you know they charge a daily resort fee right?) though its a good half hour to Disney-but the price you got is great and we have found it is wonderful to be able to cook some of our meals at our hotel(though we prefer a suite hotel) and have plenty of room to spread out . We could never handle a vacation at the Disney Value resorts(260 square feet eek!!!) and if we stay at Disney,it s because we got a good deal on a Deluxe.Have fun and now you can spend all that extra money on important things like ice cream at Ghiradellis