We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or buses/taxis

Hyde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or buses/taxis

I'm planning to visit Orlando in January/Feb 2013 with my girlfriend.

We're trying to decide whether it's best and cheapest to hire a car and drive everywhere or whether to use public transport and taxis?

We're staying at the Rosen Inn at 9000 International drive so we have good road access, but I can't seem to find if any buses stop there or not.

Looking on maps etc this looks to be quite a well located hotel luckily (as I didn't pick it) with theme parks all close by etc.

Only I can drive as my girlfriend hasn't taken her driving test yet and so there would only be one driver. To me the cost of driving seems reasonable and I'm not too worried about driving in another country. I think we would both love the flexibility of having a car to go to the shop in and we would like to visit a few specific shops too. It also makes it easier to plan our days as we could just leave when we'd want - these are the Pro's to driving.

What's putting us off is when we found out the additional costs for parking at theme parks, also I'd like to be able to have a few drinks at some meals out (don't worry I don't ever plan to risk even a sip of alcohol then driving, I don't do that over here so would never risk it abroad). But that would mean some evening's we'd be looking to use taxi's anyway.

So I'm tyring to find out if there will be a vast price difference between using other forms or transport and driving?

Also how easy the transport is to use from this location as I guess buses don't stop on Route 4? But how often do they visit all the theme parks? And do the buses run right up until after the parks close? Then i guess I could use taxis for the trips to evening meals out and the shops we'd like to visit....

I'm very torn between the two, so was just looking for some advice really.

Many thanks,

Rob

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

Lots of people manage very well using the Lynx bus system when staying on IDrive. However for the convenience of being able to come and go as you please, not hanging about waiting for buses and to see a bit more of the area we would never entertain not hiring a car. The parking fees for the theme parks are $14-$15 per day. In the grand scheme of things not a fortune.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,062 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

Taxis=expensive ($2.50 a mile + waiting time). Bus=time. Interstate 4 is a limited access highway there are exits, no stops.

There are several places to walk and have drinks from that part of I Drive. Start with looking at Pointe Orlando online.

Parking at the theme parks is either $14 or $15 per day depending on the theme park. If you plan to shop and go places outside the theme parks, rent the car. The toll roads (SR 528) take cash in Orlando.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

Over three trips, all staying on Idrive, we moved from buses to taxis. We decided the extra time spent waiting and travelling on buses was a bit of a waste. Taxis are everywhere and you should have no problems finding one and the cost of getting to and from Universal and Seaworld in a taxi from Idrive is barely more than the parking cost at these parks.

We are getting a car next year, but this is more to do with our future holiday plans (driving practice). We would be more than happy to have another Idrive holiday, using only taxis.

Edited: 9:35 am, December 04, 2012
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
22,868 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

We pretty much always drive unless we are going out for an evening that includes drinking-then we either go someplace near our hotel and walk or use a car service. Renting a car is very inexpensive in Orlando and is much more convenient than waiting for buses,especially at the end of the day when you are tired.Having a car also lets you access a lot more restaurants and stores and much easier to drive back to your hotel with your bargains instead of lugging them on a bus. We are used to excellent public transportation which we use on a daily basis at home so the Lynx system seems pretty poor to us

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

We like many of the restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. Bahamas Breeze (midrange), Miller's Ale House (inexpensive), Capital Grill (pricey) and Oceanaire (pricey) are our favorites in the area.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,269 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

Buses:

- ARE a plausible alternative to driving

- Cost $16 each for a week's unlimited use of the entire system.

- Run to and from Disney and Universal and most other places you are likely to want to go every 30 minutes all day They run late enough for most purposes - until midnight from Disney on weekdays (earlier at weekends).

- Stop right outside the Rosen on IDrive.

- Take longer than cars and taxis (of course) and require a different sort of planning/organisation/discipline

Read: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c116996/Orland…

I'd say the main motives for using the bus are cost (one week's use = one day's parking cost) and/or unwillingness or inability to drive. As you say, the latter isn't applicable to you, so you only need consider cost.

Edited: 10:14 am, December 04, 2012
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,452 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

If you can hire a car I definately would as it gives you flexibility to come and go as you please and not have to wait for public transport/taxis.

Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

As you mentioned your gf has not taken a driving test yet I am thinking you may be young. It is very difficult for a driver under the age of 25 to rent a car in the USA. If you find a company to rent to you under 25, the rate will be substantially more. Your hotel will also charge a per night parking fee as well as all the parking fees at the various parks and attractions.

I did the math for my upcoming trip and it worked out to be less to use public transport and shuttles and that even includes the car and driver I hired for airport transportation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

I managed to rent a car at the Orlando airport through Advantage for $204 for 2 weeks total!! We leave Jan 14 and will love the convenience the car will offer us. As a family of 4 it means we can come and go as we please and costing it all out, way cheaper than shuttle from airport and either taxis/buses while we are staying in Lake Buena Vista.....5 weeks to go. Yay!!!

Hyde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive or buses/taxis

Luckily I have just turned 25 a couple of days ago as I did notice most of the rental companies ask for drivers 25 and over. So I would qualify without additional charge. However I think we have decided we'll try settle for taxis and public transport.

The cost of the car hire, then having to park everywhere we imagine won't work out much cheaper than using Lynx buses and taxis when needed. I just hope there's a Lynx bus stop near to our hotel! :/