We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to save luggage space!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to save luggage space!

I'm traveling to Orlando Jan 12-16 with my best friend for our first trip to Disney in 20 years :D I'm planning to only take a carry-on suitcase to avoid checked baggage fees, but with the unpredictable weather of Florida in January, I may need everything from heavy sweaters to swimsuits. To get more space for my little suitcase, I was thinking about using space-saver vacuum bags to fit all of the clothes I will be bringing (as well as all the souvenirs I'll undoubtedly buy!) I obviously have a vacuum to seal up the bags at home...but not at the hotel when I'm flying back! I'm staying at Disney's Pop Century resort during my vacation and considering asking the housekeeping staff if I could borrow their vacuum to do the deed. Has anyone been in the same predicament and done this before? Do you have any other tips on saving space in luggage?

Thanks for everything!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

If you haven't purchased the bags yet you can buy travel ones and you roll the air out the end.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,050 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

Roll clothes instead of fold. Carry your jacket on the plane.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

Wear your warmest stuff on the plane such as long torusers/pants/jeans, sweatshirt, shoes/flece, and pack your flip flops, sandals, shorts t's etc.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

I use these

amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Pack-It-Compressors-p…

They puff up with time so I pack them last thing. I've also used the two gallon ZipLocs, especially for dirty clothes/wet swimsuits.

Happy Packing!

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

I've used the roll-up bags for years in my hold and cabin luggage and would never travel without them.

These are similar to the one's I use:-

amazon.com/Space-Bag-BRS-9112ZG-Carry-On-Sui…

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

I would advise you against using the ones that need a vacuum cleaner to compress them. If you needed to open them at the airport for a security check, you'd be in big doodah trying to get everything back into your luggage ;-)

Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

Thanks all! I didn't even know they made roll-up travel versions. I'll definitely be buying those for the trip!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

Take less clothes and do some laundry if need be. Easier to find the washer and dryer than the maid when you need her. Wear your clothes more than 1 day.

9. Re: Trying to save luggage space!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013