We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Well these days are just flying by! Today the plan was HS but was really tired and needed a rest day! So we figured we would swap it with TL however the weather was looking pretty risky. Very cloudy and still very windy! So we dicided to do my favourite thing, shopping :)

We went to Altamonte Mall, a lot further out than Florida Mall but a friend had told me there are many bargins to be found as its out of the tourist area. We did indeed get some bargins! First stop was the apple shop though as we wanted the new Ipad, bit of a let down though as we thought the new ipad mini was out but its out on friday and probablly only way of getting one would be getting there really early and queing or pre order which would be mid November!

But on the upside it meant they had slashed $50 off the price of whats still the new one right now (well till friday anyway). We also purchased 2 Ipods for the kids for Christmas, can't wait to see their faces ope ning them :)

We then headed over to Hollister, stuff really cheap in there so we got a fleece each, I hear the frost has arrived in England :(

DH then wanted some shoes for going in sea as he had seen people wearing glove like shoes for feet! So he goes in this shop and asks the guy for sea shoes, guy replies sea shoes?! DH yeah you know the ocean, assistant ahhh you want boat shoes and takes him to proper boat shoes! DH no! I mean shoes for wearing in the sea! Assistant ahh you mean sea socks LOL well we didnt know thats what they were called but we got there in the end!

We came away quicker from here than I would of liked as it was the last day for TL before closure for refurb. We got there for about 2.30 so had a few hours in there. It was still overcast and cold but once in the water it was fine.

I have to say I didnt really rate this park, I did like the wave pool but wasnt keen on the slides, well I only did 2 but didnt like either. DH really liked the place though. I much prefer BB. I had a go at the Shark Reef, now this i think is a cool attraction they just need better snorkles. I wouldnt mind we all have decent ones but left them in the villa. It was the first time i had done snorkelling but the kids and DH done it loads in past. I started off fine and was loving it but then i started getting water in my mouth and had to come up. Couldnt find anywhere to hold onto for a moment so panicked a little lol. Would like to do that again with a better snorkle! It was brill swimming over the sharks and the bright coloured fish.

Left at 5 and headed home to get cleaned up to go out for dinner. Got a few more gifts first at premium outlets (spent some money today!) then onto Ponderosa again for tea. The kids wanted to go back there.

Now home at the villa and DH has already got the Ipad out to play around with it! Men! Im off to bed now as early start in the morning for DC, it looks like the weather will turn out fine tomorrow fingers crossed. The wind has dropped and the skys started clearing just before sunset to see lovely red skys.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Sounds fab..:) Oh how I wish I was there now!...Im also planning on going to the Altamonte Mall so glad to hear the good review re bargains :) Hope you have a funtastic stay....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Ooh keep having fun!! Sounded like a great day....gotta love shopping :-)

The ipad will keep DH entertained for a while!!

Loving your reports cheryl...keep em coming,

AJ

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Great day, Altamonte Mall sounds the best Mall to me,jealous of your Hollister bargains,and yes we are getting an artic blast at home at the moment.

I like the sound of those sea socks,who thinks of these things ? :)

Have a fab day at DC, at least you got some snorkling practice in at TL,look forward to your DC report :)

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Altamonte was a great mall but will be going back one evening as didn't get half done what I wanted lol didn't want to come home having missed TL.

I'm hoping the snorkelling should be easier to get the gang if at DC as it doesn't seem to be in deep water like TL.

Still dark here at 6:30 but the trees are still. Which is a good sign :)

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

You cant beat a day shopping...Or so my DW says...

Weve never been to Altamonte Mall, i'm going to have a look now though..

Us men, we cant keep them toys wrapped up for long, were just little boys in bigger trousers..

Hope you have a fab day at DC...

Dont forget to bring your snorkel away with you, DD has hers on her bedroom wall..

Trill

Edited: 6:30 am, October 28, 2012
wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Trill I do intend to bring home souvenir snorkels :)

We will going to Florida Mall at one point so ill report how they compare. Was hoping to get to Millenia Mall too but we will see.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Hi Cheryl

What sort of prices were the ipod/ipad as with two teenage boys I reckon they might want to spend some money on that and I want a ipad so it may be worth the journey over to Altamonte for us - another thing to squeeze into our 2 weeks LOL

Which Ponderosa have you been going to - we have great memories of them from 18 years ago - not everyones cup of tea I know but suited us and our pocket ;-)

Hope the weather has improved for you and really enjoying the trip reports

Thanks

Rowena

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

hi Cheryl

me again - do you hire the snorkels at TL or do you have to buy them for the Shark encounter?

Thanks

Rowena

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Rowena it doesn't matter which mall you go to for apple products as they are same price everywhere!

We did try to get a discount or 2 cases chucked in because we bought 2 iPads and 2 iPods but she said Apple just don't do things like that anymore :(

Price for IPad 3 the wifi one at 16 GB with tax was $475.94 the tax was 6% in that area.

Ponderosa was fine for us too its 4 miles up from Cumbrian Lakes on left hand side of 192. But there is a very nearby one to you that should be open when you get here that's near old town.

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 6 Shopping and Typhoon Lagoon

Lol Rowena just seen your other reply, no they are free :)

But just make sure they fit nice and tight it's salt water and I felt like I'd just drank from the sea!