We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taunton...
Level Contributor
829 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

We've done the Disney Dining options and looking for some unique dining experiences for a family of 5 with young teens.

We love finding those places off the beaten path and welcome any suggestions that are different the the typical chain resturants.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,693 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Are you looking for dinner show venues or just unique dining options like Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex or similar?

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

What kind of food? What level of service? What makes something unique to you?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,785 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Orlando is a very chain oriented place but there is the odd original (or very small chains you don't have). We'd have to knwo more about what you consider 'family oriented' as apart from 2/3 places I can think of Kids are well catered for everywhere.

There are a number of individual restaurants (or again small chains) in DTD, and at City walk and the Universal hotels.

Try the Orlando sentinel foodie awards for suggestions.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

If you have a car, go to Yellow Dog Cafe in Gotha...very unique and great lunch menu, another stop would be Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza in the Dr. Phillips area of Orlando, (exit 74 A off of I-4) IMO it is the best pizza in Orlando, try also their chicken wings and toss salad!! Amazing...

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

If you want something different Cafe Tu Tu Tango on I-drive is worth visiting. It is set up like an artists studio and they have artists actually painting whilst you dine. There are also tango and belly dancers and for small children an awesome balloon modeller. Food is served tapas style, ie. small portions.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
829 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Thanks for the feedback, I intentionally kept it a broad statement as I didn't want any potential place to be excluded.

We would consider show or just dining options. Not necessarily have to be kid appropriate but with kids I don't necessarily want super formal, high-end dining, as it won't be enjoyable for them (and us) and the food choices may not be limited for them.

We travel each year and like to try new places and find the ones less advertised/ less traveled are sometimes the best places to go...We are open to any kind of food choices.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

TuTu Tangos and Yellow Dog were going to be two of my suggestions. Others that I thought about are going to be way outside the tourist areas.

Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

If you are traveling to the Tampa Bay area (Clearwater, St. Pete Beach, etc) you may want to try a couple places very close to I-4:

Brocato's:

http://www.brocatossandwich.com/

Or a place that was featured on Diner's Drive In's and Dives

Danny's All-American Drive In and Dairy Bar:

http://dannysallamericandiner.com/

Neither one is a chain. Brocatos is geared more to our local cuisine (Cuban/Spanish influences)

Danny's is more of an all around sandwich shop with an emphasis on burgers, but with a nod to local favorites.

Danny's also has an old fashion drink box with hard to find brands.

Joe

Tampa

Joe

Tampa

Taunton...
Level Contributor
829 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Thanks for the suggestions, these places look great, keep them coming...

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique Family dining options outside of Disney in Orlando

Look up Sweet Tomatoes. A huge buffet with all different salads and also when we were there a potato bar and pasta and some other stuff. Very fresh, all the ingredients and nutrition listed as you get them. Don't think of it as other buffet places because it is not. Gets recommended on here a lot.