We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

new york, NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

We were going to orlando with my three sons ( 10 mnths,8,11) but have now also chose to bring my husbands nieces(12,15) that havent had much enjoyment in there lives, soo now I would guess a mini van would have to be rented because we

're so many. Is it worth renting it just to go to universal?? We are definately going to both universal parks. This vacation just gets pricier for me by the day. I guess its the price you pay when you sacrifice your own insanity for someone elses happiness.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

Hi!

It is so nice of you to bring your nieces! I guess you need to compare the price of a rental van with what it would cost for a van shuttle/taxi back and forth to Universal once or twice. How many days is the trip? Are you staying on-site at Disney?

united kingdom
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

Hi !

Wow - 5 kids !!! We did WDW with 4 kids once, it took me months to recover.

We had the same problem as you - should we/shouldnt we etc. We opted to hire a 7 seater Dodge Caravan, (We call them a Chrysler Grand Voyager here in the UK) which would suit you fine.

Remember, the heat in Orlando can be fierce, and with babies and young children, it can make them physically ill and truly ruin their vacation. We found ourselves retreating to the van and putting the AC on full just to cool the children down.

It was worth every penny we spent for this reason alone. Besides, the cost and time constraints of shuttle buses are horrendous ... have a great time !

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

Where are you staying for Disney? It may be worth it to break the trip into two hotel stays. Seems like a drag to pack, but we stayed in WDW for 5 days and then the last two we moved to Universal. It was really the way to go. It was also cheaper for us to book the Royal Pacific compared with the Disney hotel.

Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying at WDW with five kids, should we still rent a car...

I would definately say rent a car if you want to go there. First of all it is a trek from the parking garage at Universal to the theme park gates just be prepared! But, I think with that many kids you want the flexibility of being able to go where you want and when you wnat. You never know what could happen and you don't want to be stuck somewhere with five kids at the mercy of someone else. Car rental can be interesting in Orlando depending on when you go it can get EXTREMELY pricey so just shop around and see if you can't get a deal through your credit card or auto club that may have a partner rental agency or something like that. Check online as well as call car rental branches it is amazing and how much rates will fluctuate at times.