We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

For those of you having read some of my other questions on here, I feel embarrassed to say I'm STILL trying to pick dates for our first trip to Disney World with our girls (ages 6 & almost 11). I pretty much had decided late September or anytime in October, but my husband is a farmer and that time frame has presented some challenges for him.

I googled a crowd level for 2013 last night and there are a few discrpencies I'd like your advice on. One calendar said crowd levels would be 4's or 5's that first week of January (we don't go back to school until Jan 7) but another one has that whole week after New Year's being very very busy. There's refurbishments to consider as well, but I figured there would be enough for my girls to see between all the parks it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Thoughts on traveling Dec 30 - Jan 6? We could relax or just not have high expectations on getting through much Dec 30 & 31, maybe the Jan 1, and then hope crowds are way down the rest of the trip.

Sorry I'm struggling with dates.. I'll get this figure out soon because of you all! Thanks!

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

Because New Years day is a Tuesday next year I am afraid it is going to be very busy til the 6th, many Schools will be off. In addition to all the rehabs that take place, the weather is quite iffy as well ( can be down right Cold )

Any chance for a week in February ( not Presidents week ) or March ( not the week before before Easter ) ?

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

Our Spring Break is the week of March 18 and it seems like, even though there would be a week between our Spring Break and Easter, the crowds were predicted to be high during our Spring Break.

As for February, about a wash as far as husband's business in Oct because he has cattle too.

In all honesty, the best times for him to go are November. I'm just trying to see if I can make something work where I"m not missing school for 4 days (since we want to go for a week), but not sure there's going to be any way around that since the crowd levels are definately something we are paying attention to. I absolutely love the idea of not having to wait in line too terribly long for fun rides! I realize Fast Pass is an option.

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

Most of November is great. Even Thanksgiving week isn't too bad. We have been at that time and as long as you use and understand the Fast Pass System, you can make it work. The weather is usually pretty good as well in November

Tough choices, sorry :(

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

I have thought about Thanksgiving Break. Seems like the crowd prediction is at a 9 that week. Thoughts? We don't usually do anything too major with family during that particular holiday. I guess I envision it being less busy than anytime prior or the week after Christmas, the summer, and Spring Break.

I'm open to the Fast Pass thing if we have to, but at Disneyland a few years ago, we'd either get a time to come back when we didn't have much time to go on another ride or else it was so much later that we were about ready for a park break and a nap.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,987 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

All the schools around here go back from winter break on either January 2 or January 3 so I do not believe the parks will be busy that week at all after New Years Day.I understand totally the struggle you are having over the dates but I still think this would be a great time to go-can't imagine any schools being off that week but maybe its just around here.I'd say crowds around a 4 or 5 are just about right

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,339 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

Because new year's day falls on tuesday, many people will keep their kids out of school the rest of the week for vacations (so they only have to miss 3 days).

If I had to choose between that week and Thanksgiving week, I think I'd pick Thanksgiving week. It will be busy, but I know people who have gone that week and managed. Good luck deciding :)

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

I would also pick Thanksgiving. It will be better by alot compared to Christmas ( pure insanity ) Easter ( pretty darn crazy ) and the Summer ( Hot, Humid, and Packed )

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

With your current choices, Thanksgiving Week gets my vote. We have been several times, over Thanksgiving, and find it very enjoyable. Disney will be in full Christmas mode, and it is magical! Crowds are manageable.

As mentioned, many schools will be out for the whole week of New Years. Parks will be much busier Jan. 2-6, than usual.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a fabulous holiday!

9. Re: Crowd through New Year's & 5 days after?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 21, 2013