We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too hot in July?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Too hot in July?

We are in Colorado and want to take our 2 girls (ages 6 & 10) to Disney World, as there are some great deals on airfare and places to stay, but we got to talking last night that we wonder if walking around all the parks we want to go to will too hot and kind of miserable in July? About the only time we can go is mid to late July or the week of December 30th. We took them to Disneyland about 3 years ago and remember it being really hot and taking some of the fun out of it and that was late June I believe.

Thank you in advance for advice/comments!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too hot in July?

It is too hot for me,and it is also Very crowded then.

If you have to go in summer, the last two weeks of August are still very hot, but the crowds begin to decline.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Too hot in July?

Too hot (and far too crowded) for me too and we live in South Louisiana.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Too hot in July?

Well, it's definitely hot and humid in July and the busiest of the summer months. It can certainly make being in crowds and standing in lines less tolerable, or, take some of the fun out of it as you say. We typically avoid the parks during this time (although have had many fun summer nights in the parks) Coming at a low crowd, nice weather time, can make a big difference to enjoyment. That said, there is a difference to me in my perception of the heat. For example, I might want to die just walking between my car and going into a store. But, if I'm going to the park, or the pool, or have to cut the grass, and am dressed for it, then I don't mind it so much. At 6 and 10 I imagine swimming is popular so the Summer is obviously good for that. If you make a realistic plan for the parks (not spending all day from opening to close) including breaks such as the pool it can be fun. Hours also tend to be long in the Summer which is a plus. You can get a lot done in the early morning and late at night so there are ways to minimize the crowds and waits. In other words, it will be what you make it and that can include a great vacation. As said, August would be better if possible. December would not have the same summer weather concerns, but weather concerns nonetheless - it could be warm or cold - very unpredictable. It will be interesting to see this year. I'm not sure what to make of the way Christmas and New Years fall to say what the week of the 30th might be like. X-mas is the busiest time of year, but I'm wondering if that second week might not be so bad this year.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too hot in July?

This will be our 3rd July 4th Disney trip in a row. The first year it rained all 4 days, so heat wasn't a problem. Last year it was hot, but we didn't think it was TOO hot for us. I personally love the heat, hubby can complain a bit, but he was even OK with it. I would think August would be as hot or worse (?). Seems there is always a way to cool off - step inside an air conditioned store, get some ice cream, go on a water ride...........

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Too hot in July?

Christmas week would probably be a madhouse. July is hot and crowded. Catch the bus early in the morning and be there for the opening. You can even schedule 8am character breakfasts so that you are already in the parks before opening. Wear hats and drink water all day long. Visit all the most popular attractions and then head back to your resort to swim during the hottest part of the day.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Too hot in July?

ZsaZsa, August weather is much of the same, but the thing is crowds drop dramatically starting the middle of the month. It's the better choice if school schedules allow.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too hot in July?

the week of December 30 would only be crazy busy right at New Years;after that,the crowds drop dramatically so you could still see all the christmas decorations and enjoy the park after the holiday mobs leave.Great time to go. July in florida is not like July in Disneyland...California may be hot but it is not humid as Florida is. July in disneyworld is pretty miserable and very crowded so if you can go right after the Christmas crowds and just have the two days(New years Eve and Day) of mobs to deal with-go then.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,703 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too hot in July?

Between the 2 I would pick July (if you could go end of August that'd be great but if not I would still go and pick July). As everyone says, get going early, do as much as you can and then in the pool or waterpark for the afternoon and back to parks at night :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Too hot in July?

Thank you all for your comments and replies. I will admit that I am struggling between sticking it out and going in July when some of the resorts are cheaper (airfare is very reasonable as well from Denver) and strategizing to get there first thing at opening each and every day and maybe getting Fast Passes for some of the popular rides to get through things faster, leaving for the afternoon, and coming back around dinner time to closing) or seeing if I can get some days off from school and pull my kids out of school in October. We are on a 4 day school week (Mon-Thur) and as a teacher, I'm allowed 2 personal days, but some take more than that). Not real thrilled about taking kids out of school for 4 days, but luckily they are both smart and would stay caught up.

It doesn't sound like we're gaining anything other than better weather by waiting until late December as far as crowds go. We have to be back in school Jan 7... not sure if crowds drop off dramatically starting Jan2? If so, could possibly go Jan 2 (or even fly out Jan 1) and stay until Jan 6.

Thoughts?

pa
Level Contributor
54,010 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Too hot in July?

If you could sort out the October Dates, that would be just about perfect. Weather is Lovely and crowd Levels low. Plus the Food and Wine Festival and the Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Parties are going on, Swell

January is so darn iffy with the weather and the parks always have alot of rehabs, closed attractions.

July really is Very Hot and very crowded, you can manage with a basic plan but another time would be good, if you can make it happen ;)