We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do other than theme parks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Things to do other than theme parks

Going to Orlando in September again. Was there last year. Not going to Disney this time but going to the rest of the parks inc Discovery cove and Busch Gardens. What i am wondering is, we will have about 8 days were we won't be at any water parks or theme parks. I will look forward to the odd day at the pool and a few days at Florida Mall and Mall at Millennia but im wondering what all else there is to do about the international drive area. Able to hire a car if need be. Open to all suggestions

england
Level Contributor
201 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

space centre, premiere outlets beach

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Orlando Science Center is fun, and probably free if you have a science museum membership from home.

Are you going to beaches?

Art-the biggest Dali collection in the world is at The Dali museum, but you would have to drive to St Petersburg. Would combine well with a gulf coast beach day.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Might go to Miami for an NFL game, not decided yet. If don't go to Miami we will probably head to the beach and maybe stay over night in Sarasota or wherever is suggested.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Winter Park is a lovely city within 20-25 minutes from the I-Drive area.

Great shops, dining and museums-Charles Hosmer Morse Museum (the largest collection of Tiffany Glass), Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens, Orlando Museum of Art.

If you visit on Saturday AM , they have a great farmers market and there is also the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tours which provides you wil a leisurely trip on the city's chain of lakes.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Get out of Orlando and see something different!

What most tourists miss is a trip to St. Augustine. St. Augustine is an easy 2-hour drive by interstate highway (I-4 & I-95) and is America's oldest city. It is loaded with history and has many good & reasonable restaurants, art galleries, nice beaches and shopping (2 outlet malls). Obviously an overnight stay or longer is best.

UK
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

I can go for a two week holiday and not go to any theme parks!! We will relax do some shopping and potter about, golf, feed the alligators, orange picking, ice hockey game in Tampa etc..... There is loads to do

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Sarasota is beautiful, take a trip to boca grande & enjoy a tummy ice cream from the loose caboose whilst dolphin spotting on the beach.

Clola
Level Contributor
405 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Boggy Creek airboat rides are a fun and interesting day out, Hot air ballon rides are another

Enjoy

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

"We will relax do some shopping and potter about, golf, feed the alligators, orange picking, ice hockey game in Tampa etc..... There is loads to do"

Cupcake, I hope you are joking about feeding gators, because it is illegal. Really!

Edited: 5:11 pm, May 10, 2012
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do other than theme parks

Just leaving Orlando following a six day stay. Other than the theme parks we very much enjoyed Kennedy Space Center and St. Augustine. The latter is a three hour drive half of which is along the ocean. We also went to Olde Winter Park along Park Street and took the scenic boat tour through three lakes. We would highly recommend all of these non-theme park alternatives...we only spent two full days there. One day was spent on a two-park tour of Universal Studios and the other was a two-park Disney pass for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We had a great time!