We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidenhead
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

hi all,

we don't have a dining plan for disney and are going in july this year - will we need to phone up restaurant at disney now to ensure we get to eat dinner?

Thanks,

x

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

Well, If you feel that you need to, but some restaurants do not allow reservations.

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

thanks - i think i just got a bit confused as everyone is saying it gets booked up really early. I went to disneyland paris and that was a struggle to get somewhere to eat in the evening. Do you think it would be ok to go into the parks and reserve on the day for the evening?

Thanks x

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

In Disneyspeak they call it priority seating.That means you're given a time to show up and you will be seated before walk-ins.(supposedly)It does seem to work fairly well. The answer to your question is that if you're going to a full service restaurant you should definitely call ahead and in the case of some of the more popular places you should consider calling before you leave home.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

Yes! Definitely make reservations now!

407-WDW-DINE

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

Hello lja401,

Definitely make all your table Disney dining reservations. You may make them 180 days in advance now. If you don't you probably will end up eating all your meals at the counter service and standing in line for a half hour.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,717 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

While not absolutely necessary, it is always recommended that you have reservations for all dining that is not considered "counter service" because the demand for the "nicer" dining is so great.

If you "wing it" and don't reserve, you're likely to not be able to eat in the places you choose, or at the very least, you will have a very long wait.

For example, on our trip two weeks ago, we reserved dining at Ohana's in the Polynesian resort. Had we not had reservations, we wouldn't have gotten to eat there that evening, because they were so full on reservations, they were turning away all "walk ups" without hesitation. The "walk ups" weren't even being put on a waiting list.

Do yourself a favor and get the reservations!!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

If you like being spontaneous and don't have the dining plan, you don't have to reserve every meal. I recommend that if you want to go to any character meals or the high end restaurants like California Grill or Ohana, make reservations now. If there are any restaurants that you simply must dine in to make your vacation perfect, make reservations now. If you are going to be here the week of July 4th, make reservations now, because that week will be extremely busy. I usually decide the day before which park I'm going to the next day, and make dining reservations then. That way, you will still have the ability to be spontaneous, but you won't go hungry doing it. Be flexible about dining time as well as location. Have a second or even third choice of restaurant in mind, especially at Epcot (where there are so many choices). Sometimes a late breakfast can stand in for lunch, or a late lunch can stand in for dinner. Lastly, if you decide to be spontaneous, realize that there may be a day or two when you won't get a table service reservation in the parks because it's busy. You always have the option of going to the nearest resort hotels for your meals as well. Sometimes they aren't busy at all for lunch and can give you a break from the crowds and the heat.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

Hi we are going July too and without dining plan. I made reservations for dinner at some of the busiest places, just in case. I hate walking around, hungry, hot, tired and no tables available. You can always cancel the reservations if they don't suit closer to your dates. The Fantastmic package sounds good, Liberty Tree and we read up on some others that sounded too good to miss. Give them a call and book in to at least some maybe? I was afraid we'd end up in McDonalds if we didn't because of the huge crowds visiting in July!!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

I wasn't going to make any reservations for our trip in June, but after reading a couple of the forums I made a couple for some fun restaurants. Chef Mickey, for a character breakfast, Prime Time, SciFi at MGM cause they look really cool and Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic package. We don't really like to be pinned down by reservations, but I'm not too worried. We have plans for places like Beaches & Cream, Earl of Sandwich and to spend an evening snacking our way around the World Showcase. We also plan on a few offsite places for a quick bite on the run and Giordanos Pizza delivery.

Ontario
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: we don't have a dining plan - do we need to make...

We reserved every meal for our trip and were so glad we did. Many times we saw disappointed and hungry people turned away as they were not accepting any walk-ins. If your plans change you can always cancel a reservation - check the cancellation rules on the ones that they ask for a credit card. We changed our plans one evening because we weren't going to be in that park and we were able to walk in to Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney(I don't think they take reservations).