We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dollar - exchange rate going up.....

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
dollar - exchange rate going up.....

I've been tracking the dollar for months now, seems to be creeping higher. Currently between 1.59 and 1.60. Not sure if it will go higher but decided to get a few now in readiness for our July trip.

Jo.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

Jo,

We bought some a few wks back at $1.58 and thought we were doing good. Ofcourse we (and everyone) would like to see it going up. My OH is not sure if we should buy more now or wait a few more wks. I am all for buying at this price, we will never get what we got 4yr ago which was $2.04. Happy days then and so easy to work out.

Liz

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

Happy days indeed - we too were in florida in 2008 and had to buy 2 extra suitcases whilst we were there to bring home all our shopping. Lol

Jo.

uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

where did you see this rate JOHill as last week in my local TA (TC) it was 1.54

thankyou

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

Hi - got this rate this morning on line at Tesco.

Jo.

Wymondham, United...
Level Contributor
405 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

FairFX are offering $1.59 for cash, and for the card $1.58.95

I think to gain free delivery cost you have to buy minimum of £750 worth of cash, otherwise you get charged £6 delivery.

I keep checking every day too, and it would be lovely to see it at its 2008 rate, but cant see that ever happening again, specially in the current climate, sadly :(

We topped up our card last week with just a little when the rate went up to almost $1.59, but we have got till September before we go to FL, so can afford to keep checking and topping up the FairFX card as and when we feel happy with the rate. We are quite happy with getting around the $1.60 mark, as this is the rate we got last year when we went, and to get $1.58 against $1.60 is not much difference in the real term.

uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

do TESCO have a FE in their supermarkets or have you to exchange online

thankyou

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

Hi, the larger tescos have FE in store - worth checking the rates as they sometimes differ.

Jo.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

The Moneyshop had $1.59 yesterday. I called in Thomas Cook and their rate was $1.565. I know that rates vary locally but if you were getting quite a few dollars that's a lot of difference.

Regards,

Deaconblue

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

If you order at Thomas cook online to pick up in store you get a better rate.

uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dollar - exchange rate going up.....

ASDA is showing 1.59 on line going to ring the store at 9 when that department opens

thankyou all