We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post office travel card

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Post office travel card

Hey folks

Me and my boyfriend are going to orlando in june and i was considering getting the post office travel card to save us carrying cash.

Has anyone used it, can you recommend ?

92 replies to this topic
Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post office travel card

These cards are something of a huge debate on here, Personally used one once and never again. But others swear by them. So it really is a personall choice.

Remember, if you have all your money on here and you loose it, and have to wait 24 hours for a replacement you will be without money, so make sure you take a little cash in case of an emergency.

The ATM machines will charge you to take out cash!!! and you can not check your balance at the ATM machines, so if you are taking your laptop and have free internet connection and can check on line or are very organised and write everything down then you will be ok, otherwise you will have a problem checking balances. You can text the UK but that will cost money too.

Personally I will be sticking to good old fashioned Cash and Travellers Cheques.

But I am sure others will have a different opinion.

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post office travel card

Hey Cazkatjoe

Thanks for the info, not sure what to do for the best , will look more into it :)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post office travel card

Yep, we used the Post Office card in our July 2011 trip.

No problem with it at all, and it was accepted everywhere we went.

We put about $1,400 dollars on it and brought a further $1,600 cash ( and came back to the UK with around $400 unspent ).

Honestly, these cards are so simple to use and it's backed up by 24 hour replacement if lost or stolen. We simply wrote down when we used it and how much on each occasion. I was spot on with my accounting down to the last cent - it's not that difficult, truly.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,199 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post office travel card

I would take a good credit card and the Post office also do Mastercard that does not charge for use abroad.

At the very least it will be back up for the pre paid card.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post office travel card

i posted the other day about the thomas cook one check it out it was mad everyone who has had one would never take another .I posted abut traveller cheques and the cards have a wee look its good .

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post office travel card

'i posted the other day about the thomas cook one check it out it was mad everyone who has had one would never take another .I posted abut traveller cheques and the cards have a wee look its good '

Funny this, because at the time of looking at these 'cash cards', our rep was trying to get us to use the 'First Choice Card', but I opted for the Post office wiith the Mastercard symbol.

We used the PO card in numerous placea and eateries and never had any issue with it's use ... I would strongly suggest you get one.

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post office travel card

Hey all

Thanks for the advice on this , the card sounds really convenient but a lot of mixed opinions ! M2dov will check out your post!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post office travel card

Have a look at the Fairfx card, I've used that the last few years with no problems. Half decent rates too.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post office travel card

i used the Po one 3 yrs ago and have decided to use again this year,it is not that much to withdraw cash and you would be withdrawing a decent amount at a time to keep charges down,and i am sure we were able to get a printed mini statement from machines last time to check the balance,but as someone said above ,its not that difficult to keep track.myself and hubby had one each too just incase we lost one so we woulld never have been left without cash.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Post office travel card

I use TC`s with no problems whatsoever and much prefere them to a card, but, as has been said, it is a personal choice.

Reply to: Post office travel card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted