We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

Am planning a holiday for my 10 year old son and myself, Only going for a week but would like to cram as much in as possible. Due to the lack of time am looking to make the most of time available. Not sure whether to do the disney parks instead of universal studios due to my sons age, (is my son too old for the Disney parks?). I hear the fireworks at magic kingdom are fantastic, anyone got a view on this. Alos intersted in going to see a basketball, baseball game whilst Im there, would anyone recommend this,? also interested to know of any good places to eat with a twist? when I visited before we went to a restaurant where the food was cooked in front of you, anyone know where this?? All I know is I want this to be memorable holiday for us both so wouold appreciate any pointers on what to do and when. Im thinking of travelling down to Miami for the day ( would this be advisable as lack of time/ it is worth it or am I better spending it in orlando) then was thinking of travelling to the everglades for a boat ride to see some crocs. As I say any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

I would say if you only have a week stick to Orlando. You can do airboat ride in Orlando I think.

Your son might like Trex for dinner at DTD, got a dinosaur theme.

Universal has got bigger rides but don't think 10 is too old for Disney and you're right fireworks are great.

HS has good rides and a few star wars things including jedi training which your son would probably enjoy.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

If you only have a week I wouldn't bother with a Miami trip, it's about 4 1/2 drive each way!

If you want to see gators your could go to Gatorland and no i don't think your son is too old for Disney.

http://www.gatorland.com/

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,938 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

Miami is a 4hr drive as are the Everglades I know you want it to be a special holiday but with only 1 week you will end up knackered if you try to do everything.

Stick to Orlando, if you really think your son is too old for Disney (I don't) then try Universal and there are places you can take airboat rides and see gators etc

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,807 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

It is a long drive down to Miami (about 4 hours each way) and probably not worth it with a 10 year old. If you want to see some alligators, have a half day at Gatorland. Well worth a visit IMHO. If you want to see gators in the wild, there is Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge near the Kennedy Space Centre, where you drive through the refuge and can see both gators and masses of birds. The Space Centre is very good too and would probably interest your son.

You are never too old for the Disney Parks!!!

Hope you have a great time.

Edited: 1:11 pm, April 03, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

There is a Benihana Japanese restaurant on International Drive. They do teppanyaki style dinners that are performed by skilled chefs who cook all of your food in front of you. It is quite a fun show.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,851 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

"Alos intersted in going to see a basketball, baseball game whilst Im there, would anyone recommend this,?"

Need to know WHEN you are planning to come. That will determine if either sport is in season.

"Im thinking of travelling down to Miami for the day ( would this be advisable as lack of time/ it is worth it or am I better spending it in orlando) then was thinking of travelling to the everglades for a boat ride to see some crocs."

Miami is not a day trip. With only 7 days, stay in Central Florida. Ditto with the Everglades. Additionally, there are no crocs there - only gators. I agree with the suggestion to visit Gatorland.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

Um, slipping over from the Key West forum..... There are American crocodiles in southernmost, saltwater Florida, but they aren't numerous and are shy of people. For example, there's sure to be one or two around Miami's Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, but you are most unlikely to actually spot them.

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is indeed a good place to spot wildlife, with very good chances for seeing alligators. There's any number of good local spots for birds. A good goal might be to see some roseate spoonbills (flamingos aren't native, you'd have to go to the Bahamas). You will very likely see, around Orlando, sandhill cranes, wood storks, white ibis, lots of herons and egrets. In the event that you have a young naturalist, it's easy to visit Florida scrub-jays and a lot more.

The Orlando Sentinel newspaper, which has lots of useful restaurant/entertainment/attractions information, is going subscriber-only in a few days. You might take a quick look at their Daily Disney page and at their Foodie Awards.

Orlando (a bit contrary to what I wrote over at Key West) does have a diverse and interesting dining scene without big-city prices. Browse here:

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/

For a ten year old, I suspect that a freshly made submarine sandwich from the Publix supermarket delicatessen might be as much fun as something grander.

Also, Orlando's water parks are attractions unto themselves.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,851 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

"Um, slipping over from the Key West forum..... There are American crocodiles in southernmost, saltwater Florida, but they aren't numerous and are shy of people."

You are correct, BlueRusso. But, for all practical purposes, you and I won't see any. Gators are the dominant reptile in the Everglades. Won't you agree?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

Head over to the Clearwater Beach/St Petersburg Beach area. It's about an hour and a half from Kissimmee. You could make a two day trip of it. Great beaches and you can go to Busch Gardens. And if you're here during baseball season you can go to a Tampa Bay Rays game in St. Pete. Or to a Tampa Bay Buccaneers football game in Tampa if you're around in the Fall months.

And I agree with the other posters. Miami/Everglades is a long trip to try to cram in. That could be a whole other trip on it's own.

Edited: 7:51 pm, April 03, 2012
10. Re: Must do/see things in orlando/miami/everglades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 19, 2013