We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pop Century or All-Star Movies

We will be in Orlando during March Break and are trying to decide between All-Star Movies and Pop Century. We are travelling with a 3 year old, 5 year old and 13 year old (boy). Thinking the Pop Century is newer and maybe better for older boy but All-Star would be better for younger ones. Anybody been to both?

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Hi!

The two hotels are nearly identical except for the slight variation in theme. I suppose the 13 year might like Pop better, but the little ones will like either. The big deal is really the huge outdoor sculpture things that you can see in the pictures. So, whether it is "Love Bug" building at Movies or "Play Dough" building at Pop, it probably doesn't matter that much. Just pick the one that appeals. Also, Disney is pretty good about keeping the hotels fresh and clean. Again, Pop is a bit newer so might be even fresher, but probably no noticeable difference.

Also, just a note to make sure you are aware (you probably are). The maximum number of guests in a room at the All-Star resorts and Pop is 4 people so you would need 2 rooms for 5 of you. And you will need it, the rooms are quite small. Some of the moderate resorts can fit 5, but not the value.

And, don't worry too much about which...either will be great!!

Have fun!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

And just to reiterate what travelfun stated -- you will have to have two rooms whether you want to or not. Disney in particular is very strict on the occupancy rules. Don't even take a chance, if you are caught (and you will be) they will not hesitate to insist that you leave. Some resorts (pricier) accept parties of 5, check it out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

My "3 year old" is actually 2 but will be 2 months away from being 3 when we go to Disney. I thought that was okay to have 3 children in the room of those ages --although I agree it will be crowded. I just thought we would not be in the room very much. Are you sure I have to book 2 rooms? Is there any Disney resort we could fit 5 in? It sort of takes away from the "value" of the resort if the parents have to split up and book 2 different rooms.

Thanks for all of the help!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
308 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

We went to Disney a few years ago when my youngest was 2. All 6 of us stayed at the Grand Floridian (max. occup. there is 5/room). The hotel did not have any problems with that arrangement (I asked) because our 2 year old was still considered a baby. You can doublecheck w/Disney on this, if you'd like. I'd say stay in one room and save some money.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Hi! I am not sure about the rule regarding the 2 year old. You should definitely check. And, even if they say yes, are you planning to put all 3 kids in one bed? There really is no room for a cot or really even a crib. Will they provide one? It might be possible to put a sleeping bag on the floor or maybe a small crib. I'm not trying to be negative, it is just that the rooms are very small. The rooms at the moderate and deluxe resorts are larger. I think they will allow 5 at moderates like Port Orleans. I agree that you won't spend a ton of time in the room so sharing is not a bad idea- I just don't know that I would do it at All-Star or Pop.

Let us know what they say about the 2 year old.

Good luck and happy travels!!

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

We had a room once at the Wilderness Lodge that had a double bed and a set of bunkbeds with room for a crib (pack-n-play) as well. I'm not sure if the other resorts offer this set up as well but its worth a check.

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Sorry, I also remember a room at Port Orleans that had two doubles and a bed underneath one of the doubles that rolled out. Hope this helps.

Ireland
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Sorry to say, Disney considers an infant to be a child aged under 2. If you go to disney.com and do a reservation search at a value resort you'll see that if you enter 3 childrens ages with one as an infant the booking continues to the next stage but if you put the youngest's age as 2 a warning comes up saying you have exceeded occupancy.

However, there is one moderate resort which can accommodate 2 adults plus three kids of any age... that's called Port Orleans Riverside. Apparently the rooms there are bigger by about 25 feet, than the other moderate rooms and they will give you a pull out bed for the 3rd child. That might be your best option as one room at Port Orleans riverside will be far cheaper than 2 rooms at the value resort. Something to think about.

Or, of course, there's the option of a suite in Downdown Disney... Doubletree Guest Suites have huge suites of 650sq feet. But for the Disney 'feel' which is what I'm going for too, I reckon budget-wise the Port Orleans Riverside is your best bet.

Good luck to you.... glad to see I'm not the only one squeezing a family of 5 into one room... we're gonna do the same at one of the moderate resorts (hubby, me, 11 year old, 8 year old and 1 year old baby)!!! Here's hoping both our families have a great holiday and don't throttle each other in the cramped rooms!!! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

Thanks for all of the help. I called Disney and was told that actually a child who is still 2 is considered an infant and can be in the room with a crib. My 2 year old has not slept in a crib for about a year so this will not work.

The POR was the recommended hotel for 5 staying in one room and was not that much more money. However, I am disappointed because it does not look like it has as many features that will excite my little ones as the value resorts.

ANyway, thanks again to all of you for the great advice!

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pop Century or All-Star Movies

The Port Orleans sits on a river, has a great pool area, a fishing dock, a playground, and nice walking areas. I think the kids would love it. I'm not sure the value resorts have all of these amenities. Besides, the parks will definitely be the star attraction.