We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando transportation help (no car)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Orlando transportation help (no car)

Hi, I need to get from the Swan & Dolphin to the Silver Lake Resort, Kissimmee. Google mapped it at 14 miles, 6 mins. Is the cheapest way here via taxi, or can I grab a inter-hotel shuttle? Cost?

How do all taxis charge, via minute or mile?

Also best way to get from Silver Resort DAILY to the I-Drive to visit the theme parks. Google says 10 via highway - again taxi there and back? Cost?

Single mum travelling with 14 yo daughter. Would love to get a taxi daily, but gonna add up in cost.

Also I heard that getting a limo from Las Vegas airport to the strip is the same cost as a taxi, staying at Excalibur Hotel. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers and thanks, Jane

pa
Level Contributor
55,246 posts
1. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

Suggest the Fare Estimator at

www.mearstransportation.com

Just wondering why you are moving from the Swan/Dolphin

For the Las Vegas question, best to post on the Las Vegas forum for current info

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,403 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

You can do it from US192 (a short walk, it appears from Google Maps, from Silver Lake) using city buses (aka LYNX). It will take time and involves transfers, but costs only $2 each, each way. I'm not sure if you care to invest time to save money.

This article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c125141/Orland… gives directions and links to schedules and so on. Note that, when reading the article, you ARE (according to Google) west of the major intersection it refers to, so you DO have to make the additional transfer at Old Town as described.

And, if you care to, you may be able to do that trip from the Swan/Dolphin, by taking a resort bus to the Magic Kingdom and then the ferry to the Transportation Center. I say **may** because I have read that (perhaps at busy times, perhaps always - I'm not sure) Disney transport doesn't like to carry baggage. See the same article for directions TO Disney - you'll need to do it in reverse, of course.

Given with the caveat that I'm relying on Google Maps' location of the resort - it's not somewhere I have visted myself. And that the detail about Disney transport and luggage is not from personal experience, either.

Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
3. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

SCAN, Are you in Florida now or just up very late (or early?)

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,403 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

I'm in Panama City at the moment. So it's an hour earlier than in Tampa. Still feels late, though.

Edited: 9:18 pm, March 10, 2012
Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
5. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

Panama? Or Florida? LOL?

Are the Spring Breakers keeping you awake?

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,403 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

FL, and no, not really - they are mostly on the beach; I am in the town for an overnight stop only.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,142 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

There are no theme parks on Idrive, I assume they meant to get to Universal parks?

If not driving, and wanting to see Universal I would move from Silver lake as I would have a car there if wanting to visit Universal. There a number of Condo resorts loong Idrive that have good access to buses- look at HGVC, Vistana, Floridays etc.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

Thanks all. I am stuck at the S&D (business) and Silver Lake (got sucked into timeshare) and cannot change hotels. According to the I-drive tolley map I can get to the theme parks (Seaworld and Aquatica). Don't feel confident driving a car in the states. We have 6 days at Silver Lake (S&D all business, no leisure time) and was going to get taxi? to beginning of I-trolley and see the 2 theme parks and other attactions. Will check out Mears bus service as I have a lot of transfers still to work out. We are visiting Universal studios when in LA so don't want to go again in Orlando, would presume the same sort of theme park.

Could get taxi/mears from hotel to disney transportation to visit some disney stuff?

More help would be appreciated

Cheers

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,142 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

Yes, you can get a taxi but they aren't cheap. Might keep to them for Disney. Make sure you get a propert taxi not some of the expensive private hire ones your hotel will try to arrange for you.

And no, you don't want the Itrolly, as said before the lynx bus is better. And the bus isn't mears it is lynx as in www.golynx.com and mears is the taxi/shuttle company.

If your hotel has shuttles to Disney you can get there and then to the TTC or DTD to catch a lynx bus.

Where you are staying is NOT a non drivers hotel and it could be cheaper for you to just throw that away (or keep it an move for 2 nights) and get yourself a cheap hotel on Idrive near SW for a few nights maybe. Or, your best option is to get over your fear of driving there and rent a car. It really isn't hard and plenty who drive your side of the road manage it.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
10. Re: Orlando transportation help (no car)

I don't understand why you want taxis to I Drive if you are not going to visit the Universal theme parks. If you are looking to visit Disney parks they are much nearer to your resort than Universal. I would bite the bullet and rent a car for a few days. Believe me the driving is easy. Even I can manage it!

Regards,

Deaconblue