We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Level Contributor
3,463 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Ok 10 and 14 year old. Been to Disney more times than I care to admit.

This time going to Universal. Peak time Spring break. I wish it wasn't so but is what it is.

Staying on site to take advantage of those perks and for the crazy cost I hope it is somewhat helpful.

I know so little about about Universal what should we see? I know HP first but after that? What is the best order? I can do Disney with my eyes closed but don't know where to start here. Thanks TA folks for the advice.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

We are in the same boat:) We have a 11 and 9 year old giving Universal a first time try. We are staying at the Hard Rock. When you do the math..it's worth the fast pass..or so we have been told. We were debating on whether or not to do 1 day or the 2 day with hopper. We have been told since we are first timer's to do the 2day pass with hopper. I think it's best to have the option to give both parks a try...we have been told you will be walking distance to both. Have Fun! Which park are you staying at??

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Well for IOA you cant miss Spiderman, the Hulk, Jurassic Park, the HArry Potter stuff. We did a bunch of other rides (Blutos barges, Ripsaw falls) that were fun but our faves were the first things I mentioned, esp Spiderman. Jurassic Park actually scared me but I am sort of a chicken when it comes to dinosaurs and it is very well done.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

start with HP and work your way back to the Marvel area via the water rides so you have time to dry off. As above Spiderman is brill as is Hulk and Dr Doom thingy.

Fo US we don't normaly have a plan as there is plenty to do if busy. We normally check out RRR first then wander over to Simpsons and MIB. We do T2 later when we need a sit down. Oh and Shrek is a good laugh.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

My plan for IOA would be;

Arrive early and head straight to Forbidden Journey - try and go on it a couple of times before it gets too busy. Next head to Dragons Challange just opposite.

If you can do these rides relatively quickly, then my advice once you have finished in the Harry Potter area is to head back to the Superheros area and go on Hulk, Dr Doom and Spderman, by now it will be near to lunch and getting hot.

Its a good time to hit the 3 water rides.

Pluto's Barges - you get absolutely soaked, but great fun. As you are so wet it is always worth a 2nd go.

Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park.

Grab a late lunch and dry out.

Head back into WWOHP and check out the Q's, and if it is worth going on Forbidden jouney or Dragons Challange again. Check out the shops in this area. An amazing level of detail.

Catch the Sinbad show.

Dr Seuss area is really for younger kids, but Cat in the Hat is good fun and worth checking out if the q's are short.

Most of the rides in IOA are worth doing at least twice, especially Forbidden Journey and Spiderman.

Foe Universal the best plan with 10 and 14 year olds would be

Rip Ride Rockett

Mummy

Simpsons

Men in Black

Catch the shows/films

Terminator

Animal show

Shrek

Edited: 3:05 am, March 06, 2012
Michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

sorry to ask a question in here but maybe it will help all...

We too are doing Universal with a 10 & 6 yr old - both fans of Harry Potter & frankly we are leaning towards doing just IOA for that reason with possibly 2nd day @ Sea World. My question - is IOA enough or should we do Universal Studios too - it just seems IOA is "where its at"

Level Contributor
3,463 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Thanks for the responses. It is SO very helpful in planning our day. We are going with the two day park hopper tickets. Since it will be so crowded when we are there I really want a plan.

Next questions? I get car sick very easily. So the major roller coasters I won't be going on. Besides HP which other rides should I personally avoid? The kids and hubby will be going alone on them. Hard to tell from the website.

Thanks for all the help.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Can you just take a bonine in the morning? Even Spiderman has a lot of motion. Does the spinning or the speed make you sick?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Spiderman, Harry Potter, Hulk are my favs!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Forbidden Journey and Spiderman are the standouts for me

boys will love men in black.,boys will want to go back again to beat the others score I bet

simpsons is a must if they are fans of the show just makes it all the more fun if they love the characters of course

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do rides Both Universal Parks for first timers?

Poor old E.T. Not even a mention.................