We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rides

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rides

Hi All,

I have just booked my first trip to Orlando in August with my 9yo son and we are both sooo excited. I am trying to plan as much as I can before I go, so I have a question about some of the rides. I am terrified of heights and hate rides that spin around, unfortunately I have passed this trait on to my son, has anyone any suggestions for some good rides that aren't too scary

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,467 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rides

First of all, we need to know what theme parks you are visiting to give you better advise.

Also, just exactly how much height does it take to "terrify" you? Can you tolerate 50 to 60 ft heights?

Woz
Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rides

Magic Kingdom

Stitch's Great Escape

Phillarmagic-Best thing at Magic Kingdom

Wishes Fireworks display

It's A Small World

Peter Pans Flight

Winnie the Pooh

Animal Kingdom

It's Tough To Be A Bug

Kilamanjaro Safari

Kali River Rapids

Dinosaur (Not sure about the height restriction for this)

MGM

India Jones

Star Wars

Fantasmic

Stunt Show (The one with the cars)

Epcot

Illuminations fireworks

Crush Turtle Talk

Honey I Shrunk The Audience

The part with the dolphins (can't remeber)

Hope this is useful, sure you'll have a brilliant time.

Mentioned in this post
Stitch's Great Escape!
Stitch's Great Escape!
80 Reviews
Orlando, FL
It's a Small World
It's a Small World
217 Reviews
Orlando, FL
It's Tough to be a Bug!
It's Tough to be a Bug!
158 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Kali River Rapids
Kali River Rapids
133 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Dinosaur
Dinosaur
155 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,414 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rides

Woz, thanks a million for the brilliant list, im sure there is plenty to keep me busy

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rides

Coleen, can I suggest you get hold of a copy of A Brit's Guide to Orlando by Simon Veness. In it he rates all the rides at all the parks and describes them in detail so you'll know exactly which ones you think will be suitable for you.

You can also go onto the websites for all the parks and watch video clips of some of the rides which will also give you an idea of what to expect.

I am also scared of heights and don't like any roller coasters that have inversions but I still manage to find loads of thrilling rides to go on. My favourites are the simulator ones, like Spiderman and Back to the Future at IOA and Universal. Have fun!

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rides

hi irishcoleen

going back to orlando for the third time in aug and have never been on a rollercoaster,

i agree with carla5262 there is so much else to see and do, i loved spiderman i kept joining the singles line with my son we always ended up together!!

dont know which parks you intend to visit but all of them have rides for those of us who dont like coasters ect,

my kids spend hours checking ouy the parkwebsites as carla5262 suggested, hope you have a great time

milliesgirl

northern ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rides

hi

forgot to mention when you go to parks pick up the park leaflets on way in they give a good guide to all the rides ect, a description plus who they are suitable for,

i also asked the staff at rides they are very good at giving advice and were always spot on.

hope this helps

milliesgirl

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rides

Thanks for all your replies, you have all managed to put my mind at ease, We're there for two weeks so hoping to fit in as many parks as we can, i can't wait Im so excited about this holiday Im feel like a 9yo myself lol

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rides

Hi Irish! I found that the rides at Magic Kingdom are pretty tame, with the exception of Space Mt. Our first family trip was when my daughter was only four. She went on every ride then, including Tower of Terror at MGM. (I would NOT recommend that one for you! I screamed my head off!)

The list posted by Woz is very good. For Magic Kingdom, you must try Splash Mountain!! It might be a little scary at the end, but it is by far the best ride anywhere!!! For Animal Kingdom, your son will be tall enough for Dinosaur, but keep in mind that it is in the dark and very loud-quite intense! But, my four-year-old loved it! It will be hot when you go so take advantage of the Kali River Rapid ride in AK.

Best advice: Try as many rides as possible. If you hate one, you never have to go on it again, but how will you know if you don't try??!!

Mentioned in this post
Splash Mountain
Splash Mountain
311 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Dinosaur
Dinosaur
155 Reviews
Orlando, FL