We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

So this is the first time we are staying in a house rather then a hotel. I feel like we are forgetting the basics. I just realized yesterday that we need to buy toilet paper. Ha.

What other things am I forgetting because I am used to having housekeeping???

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,969 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Toilet paper, paper towels, dishwasher tablets,washing powder, any cleaning stuff you feel you need, bin bags and obviously your toiletries and not forgetting food and drink lol

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Hiya,

You shouldn't need loo roll for a start...LOL

you will need your Beach towels etc, all your toiletries, shampoo etc.

We take a small jar of coffee & t bags to get us going for the 1st morning then call into the local supermarket and get the essentialls, milk, bread, beer etc.

All the cooking utensils will be there with plates etc.

Look on google for the closest supermarket and call in on the way from the airport to get your essentials.

Hope this helps,

Trill

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,969 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

You will need toilet roll, there is always one or two to start you off but I have never stayed in a villa yet and not had to buy toilet rolls.

Beach towels are in linen closet more often than not

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Calabay Parc villa provided all the toilet rolls but I have to say that was a first. Although its nice to plan, you won't have to worry about household items as you can just pop to the supermarket at anytime to get what you need. To plan, just think of your normal weekly shop at home.

motherwell
Level Contributor
536 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

We always just stop for basics and do a full shop the following day by then you know what is available and what you need to buy, having done both hotel and villa it is a villa for me from now on even though it is only me and the hubby, the extra space and convenience of laundry facilities and private pool sold it to me.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,870 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Normally good villas leave you with a small supply of basics (at least one roll pf PTs, one roll of TP in each bathroom, a few trash bags, basic cleaning supplies and even sometimes DW powder etc) you buy more when they run out.

Most Villas will also have pool towels, so enquire. Yours will take up a lot of room in your case if you don't end up needing them.

Some villas will have spices in a cupboard which is very handy. but if you are renting from a tour op assume you will need everything. In cases such as these I bring a small plastic box in my luggage with salt pepper and some pices and tea bags. Simetimes I bring DW tabs and some laundry tabs so I don't have to buy full boxes for a few washes.

uk
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

If you are coming from the UK and planning to take loo rolls with you then please thing again as the pper in the uk is too thick forthe small us plumbing to cope with .Any rental home should have1 roll in each bathroom .Pool towels are at the discretion of the owner but there must be at least 2 towels per person provided .Some homes will have a few dish washer tablets to start you off and trash bags .Any cleaning items should be removed by the cleaners but you may find some items left in a laundry out of the way of small children .When I go I buy my spices , dish washer items, any cleaners I need at the $1 shop so if I don't use it all I haven't wasted much.

I would suggest taking t bags and washing powder if you have a family member who reacts to anything new.

jamesville ny
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

All villas I have rented toilet paper and cleaning items. We just bought food.

Scottish Borders
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Luck of the draw I suppose, over the past few years we have rented 7 or 8 times and have always had to stock up on "essentials". Yes there is always a roll of paper in each toilet but that doesn't last long lol

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in a villa first time....what do we need to buy?

Unless you bring with, get some zip lock bags. Lots and lots of uses. Clean veggies or fruit, left overs, wet bathing suits for trip home, etc.