We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrier Free Tolls????

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Barrier Free Tolls????

I am looking for some help regarding tolls driving in Florida as I have returned home and Dollar Rent A Car have charged me for going through a toll that I did not pay for. I don’t know what highway / roads I drove on but I will briefly describe where I drove and if someone can shed some light on the matter I would be very grateful. We drove from the Dollar Rent A Car office in Cape Canaveral to our hotel (Sheraton Four Points Studio) on International Drive and then from the hotel to Orlando International Airport. We had the car from 10am to 4pm on the same day. We did not have a GPS as Dollar did not have one to give us, even though we had booked one with them. We simply followed road signs. We passed through tolls you queue to go through and always went through the barrier that had a person and paid cash. From the description of the area I have said we drove does anyone know if I would have passed through a barrier free toll and not know it! There were 4 of us in the car and we were all looking out for signs / directions as we did not have a GPS. We simply followed signs out of Cape Canaveral for Orlando. We came off a highway at the very start / end of International Drive (near the Convention Centre) to get to our hotel and seemed to drive on a road that ran parell to International Drive before arriving at our hotel.

On returning from the airport we drove around Orlando area in a different car for a further week, passed through quiet a few tolls, always paid cash and have not incurred outstanding tolls for that week.

When I drive to Dublin, there is a ‘Barrier Free Toll’ on the M50 on the outskirts of Dublin. it is well signposted and you ring a number to pay for the toll or set up an account which takes the money out automatically.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

Dollar should be able to tell you which toll they say you went through without paying. Get proof from Dollar.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

Like us lovers has said..as them for the location and time of the toll charge, they should have the info...are we talking about a fine or a toll charge?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

You would have been on the 528 from Port Canaveral to International Drive. And again on the 528 from International Drive to the airport.

It is very hard to miss a toll on the 528. If you missed you would know it.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,724 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

It's been a while since I've been on 528 between the Port and the Aiport, but one of the two tolls between the Airport and I-Drive area does have high speed lanes where you would have incurred a violation if you hadn't followed signs and pulled off to the right to pay. So it's possible although really hard to miss the huge signs. But, if you did, and stayed straight on the road at that point you would have gone through one without having been made to stop at a barrier

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

Did you use the 'cash only' lanes? I wonder if the Sunpass transponder/toll by plate was triggered at a toll even though you paid cash?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

This looks like yet another case where Dollar have failed to switch off the transponder and it has registered a miss at the toll booth which has been paid for to the attendant.

Or Dollar on the make again.

Ask for a copy of the violation. and raise a complaint with dollar and ask for a cash back from your Credit card company.

Looks like people are going to have to be very careful when hiring Dollar cars and using toll roads. This is one of many of these incidents where dollar send out a fine when toll have been paid at booths. . And the driver has been sure they have not used sunpass lanes.

By either Taking a picture of the toll being paid or asking for a recipe every time. Collecting a receipt may well be the best way to go . and clip them together at the end of each day

Ireland
Level Contributor
317 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

Thanks for all replies. I am waiting to hear back from Dollar and the booking agent I booked through – Car Hire 3000. I emailed Dollar at vehicle.violation@dtag.com twice and have heard nothing back from them. I googled the address and its all bad reviews about Dollar, it would seem they will not even answer my email. I am pushing for Car Hire 3000 to find the details / evidence for me as they had washed their hands of the matter but are now inquiring on my behalf. They said Dollar will have to answer to them. All I know at this time is ‘The charge is for an administration fee for processing toll violation.’ I do not recall driving through a toll and thinking I went through the wrong lane. All tolls we encountered we drove through a cash barrier that had a cashier. It seems very strange to me that I could drive a car for 6 hours and incurr a toll violation and yet drive a different car for a week with no problems. I have never incurred any fines / violations on returning home from a trip when I have previously driven in the States, Canada, Austrialia, Europe and South Africia. I am very intrigued to see what dollar will come up with......

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

So will the rest of us.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

There have been quite a few instances reported here where Dollar (no other company seems to be reported) does exactly what you describe.

The only cashless toll that a visitor is likely to go through is the last southern part of the Turnpike (near the Miami area). Everywhere else you can pay cash.

All who rent from Dollar and who do not intend to use their transponder should request that it be turned off and watch that they do so.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,856 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barrier Free Tolls????

Many do go thru the sunpass at some tolls, esp on the northern exit to MCO as you have to almost exit the road to pay cash.

So it does happen even if not in this case.