We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Is this ride a roller coaster? a simulated ride??? I have neck problems (displaced disk) and can't ride jerky rides or roller coasters so was wondering what this ride was?? I really wanted to try it with my son but I am wondering if I will be able to handle it or if it will cause me pain! Thanks for any advice

scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Went on this ride last July,in answer to your question it is a bit of both that is it is simulated in bits but also moves quite a lot and although it was a great ride it was in my opinion quite jerky. I dont do big roller coasters and was a bit unsure but in fact I really enjoyed it as the attention to detail inside Hogwarts, where the ride is, is very good, my husband enjoyed this but he backed out of the ride at the last minute, and that was easy to do. I would say there is a lot of swooping if that makes sense! you are part of the quiddich match so follow Harry et al

who are on broomsticks through the air, you are in a row of four seats but you cant see the seat beside you as the sides come up quite high at the side and you move about a lot, but at least you could do the inside and opt out of the ride at the end.

pa
Level Contributor
53,806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Agree, you might want to avoid the ride ( it is amazing tho :(

But do have a wander thru the Castle, it is very well done

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

The restraint system is not altogether different than what you would have with a roller coaster, but it is not a roller coaster ride nor does it have roller coaster like drops and dips or sensations (in my opinion). The ride vehicle is essentially on a moving mechanical arm. It can (and does!) move the "car" up, down, to the side, tilted forward or backward, or any combination of those things while you are restrained in a seated position and moving through the story line which incorporates both video screens and sets. I guess the above description of "a lot of swooping" is pretty good. If you've been to IOA before, I feel it is more like Spider Man than a roller coaster.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

The ride is a simulation but I would say there is a lot of 'swinging' action. Your feet would be dangling in the air when you are strapped into your seat during the ride.

I would think the ride could have too much movement for your neck problem.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

no ride is worth your health..i would agree with the others a little to jerky.like partypa said take a walk around the castle it is very nice you will enjoy it...

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Oh yes,I can do Simpsons and spiderman just fine, but this one made me ( and lots of other people) motion sick, as there were numerous people sat around the exit looking pale!

From the parts were I had my open (lol) it was amazing but yes definatley jerky.

Don't worry there will be other things to enjoy, the whole Harry potter area is fabulous!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,268 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

I have herniated disks, in my neck. Everyone has described FJ very well. I went on the ride and just held my neck, the whole time. I did just fine. If you think you will want to hold onto the bar, with both hands, due to the swerving and jerking and therefore cannot hold your neck in place, skip the ride.

I do think the ride is fantastic!

England
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Hi,

I've beeen reading this thread with interest because I'm way too chicken to do coasters, (the Woody Woodpecker baby coaster is about my limit) and I don't do well with rides that induce motion sickness either.

However, I have (just about), managed 'The Simpsons' ride (and the 'Star Tours' ride at DHS). I really want to do 'Forbidden Journey' - how does it compare to these two rides? Worse/about the same?

Thanks

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Micra1.

We went on this ride 2 weeks ago for the first time. Infact there was hardly any "Q" so we went straight back onto it.

It as Brilliant, you have to ride it a couple of times to see everything.

DO NOT close your eyes, as the jumpy bits are very good and fit in with the HP story line.

You go side ways, up down tilt forwards, backwards, see some big spiders up close but not too scary.

Alot has gone into this ride. DO NOT ride if you suffer from back of neck problems. The "Q" through the castle is awsome.

This ride is a must do.

agg

England
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Ride

Thanks, Agg.

:)