We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking question

Level Contributor
120 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Parking question

Hi again. I know I have asked a lot of questions but just want to know everything ahead of time. My question is about parking at the parks. Since parking is free at downtown Disney can you park there and walk or ride to the parks? I know it is a silly question but since we will be going to the parks 10 days I thought I may be able to save 90 dollars? Thank you.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking question

You'd have to take a bus from Downtown Disney to one of the resorts and then take Disney transportation from there. I have to say though that it eats up so much of your time doing it this way, I would pay the $9.00.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking question

While I'm sure some of our thrifty friends will weigh in here, I just pay and park. An hour of my time is worth a lot more than $9, especially vacation time, which is valuable indeed.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking question

Just to give you an idea of the time involved:

from DTD to AK: You would need a bus to AKL, then transfer to AK bus. Maximum time would be 20 minutes for each bus connection (2 connections) 30 minutes ride time (20 to AKL, 10 to AK) for a total of 70 minutes.

from DTD to Epcot: You would need a bus to Y&BC or Boardwalk, then walk in to Epcot. Maximum wait time would be 20 minutes for bus connection to resort, 20 minutes ride time, for a total of 40 minutes.

from DTD to MGM: You would need the same bus as for Epcot, then catch boat to MGM. Maximum time would be 20 minutes for each connection (1 bus, 1 boat) and 40 minutes ride time (20 to resort, 20 for boat ride) for a total of 1 hour 20 minutes.

from DTD to MK: You would need a bus to either the Grand Floridian or Contemporary. Maximum time would be 20 minutes for bus connection to resort, 20 minutes ride time, 20 minutes from resort to MK (using monorail from GF or walking in from CR) for a total of 1 hour.

I have given you the maximum times, but if you get to a bus/boat/monorail stop just as they are pulling in, your time is reduced by the wait time for that transportation. My luck has usually been that the bus/boat/monorail is just pulling OUT as I'm arriving, so it's better to consider your maximum wait time when planning. Keep in mind that Disney transport doesn't start running until between 45-60 minutes before the parks open, so you will always sacrifice the most efficient park time if you decide to go this route.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking question

I'm the cheapest, ummm most frugal, person who ever lived. However, I bite the bullet and pay the $9 parking on each trip to Disney, just to save time. I couldn't justify all the time I'd spend riding busses from DTD to resorts and then on to theme parks. We like to be at the gate when they "drop the cord" so-to-speak.

Sometimes saving time is more important than saving money, and at Disney this is certainly true.

Plaistow, NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking question

Not sure if this helps, but one of the good things at Disney is that you'll only pay $9 for each day, even if you leave and come back, or switch for example between Magic Kingdom and Epcot during the day, you won't have to pay again. Same goes for Universal; you only pay $9 for the day and can go in and out, or switch parks without paying again.

orlando
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking question

man was i bummed when they caught on at the parking gates and got themselves some credit card scanners ;)

i used to just go "oh no, all i have is a credit card" and they'd let me in for free every time. then i'd cruise around via monorail/boat/bus.

no more, alas.

we parked at DTD for july 4th and took the buses to a resort to watch the fireworks over the lagoon - it took FOREVER, nearly an hour, to go just a couple of miles. partly because of the excessive holiday traffic right then, partly because that's how buses work at disney.

anyways, it CAN be done, it's just time consuming.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,522 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking question

Definitely pay the $9,it is much more convenient to have your car available when and where you need it. And as far as scamming Disney to avoid the fee by lying about not having the cash-what's the matter with you?Is that what you want to teach you kids?Steal if you can get away with it?Pay the parking fee or don't park at Disney!

orlando
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking question

disfan, who said i was lying? i rarely carry cash. the way i see it, if they don't have a credit card machine that's *their* problem.

people "scam" disney here and there, sure. things like bringing in food/drinks, pool hopping in the resorts, etc.

but given how much money disney makes hand over fist, i certainly don't have a problem with it.

$9 parking fee, $50 for a 3 year old to get in, $7 for a pint of beer, $3 for a bottle of water, etc etc. the list is endless.

when you really stop to think about it, who's scamming who?

;)

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking question

gru..... i think your a cheapskate, but you do have a point. disney is excessively expensive. that is probably the thing that irritates me most when i go there. i hate being nickle and dimed to death and disney does that better than anyone. but still gru.... think of the example your setting for your kids. say you aren't from New Jersey are you? or over 65?

Level Contributor
120 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking question

Thanks guys. We will pay the 9 dollars to park no doubt. I do not want to waste that much time on riding around when I can park and go straight to the gate. I like to be there early. Thanks again. Everyone is so nice here and really helps out a lot. I am sure I will have lots more questions as vacation time gets even closer.